"Retarget animation" not working with model swaps?

Describe your problem in as much detail as you can. Other users might help.
Ikuzu
Has liked: 4 posts
Been liked: 1 post

This was called "make animations relative" in older versions according to the guide, so I'm assuming it does the same thing. I've been trying it out and it's apparently not doing anything. The models are still distorted when there's a height discrepancy. Am I doing something wrong? Does it not go:

1. Copy and rename model .gmd file you're swapping to the directory of the original and replace it.
2. Tools > Retarget animation > (select a backup .gmd of the model you replaced)
3. Select the renamed .gmd you replaced it with in the directory
4. Select the the modded .gmd's directory (with field and event subfolders containing .gap animations)
5. ? Test it out by loading an animation file from the modded folder

When I do this, the swapped model animates the same way it would without retargeting animations, warped, stretched and distorted.
Sleepinginbloom
Been liked: 2 posts

Does it show a loading screen while retargeting the animations? That's usually how I tell if it went through if I'm doing a lot of animations.

I tried to recreate ur problem by following ur instructions, but it worked for me? Which models are you using? I know I sometimes have trouble making the retargeting work with Yusuke... so I wouldn't be surprised if it is just problems w that chara.

My advice is to double check youre clicking on all the right files... like loading up the correct anims and stuff. I'm rly not sure what the problem is, I'm sorry!

Also you might want to test and make sure the model still stretches the same way it would with the untargeted anims, just to see if the retargeting is doing anything at all. (altho it seems u might've already done this)

Again, sorry I wasn't much help! If you could tell me the characters I could test with them and maybe find the problem? idk, up to you, good luck!
Ikuzu

Yeah, there's a loading screen that says it's processing the GAP files in the animation folders.
Also yeah, it was Yusuke I was trying to change. I wanted to swap him out with Akira for a scene.

I've tried it with other models and basically no matter what, the model swaps don't correlate with the animation GAPs for the character they're replacing. They're always stretched and distorted, even when I put the original model back in and use the same, modified GAPs.
Sleepinginbloom

woo thx for the quick response! I'm a little slow to reply bc i was testing some things...

I looked at yusuke's anims and tried to change them to fit akira's, and they didn't change for me either. Yusuke's anims just don't seem to want to work with the retargeting i guess.

But other models (like ryuji and ann) work for me... I would maybe try download gfd studio again and see if a fresh copy fixes the issue?

Still im not much help, sorry abt that. If you need some models other than yusuke to be retargeted i don't mind doing it for you. But yusuke seems impossible (at least 4 us lol)

You could rig akira to yusuke's bones if worst comes to worst? Idk if its worth it tho lolol.

OR you could replace yusuke's model with akira's by right clicking it and pushing "replace" I tried this and it lines yusuke's raw anims with akira's body sort of well, the shoulders are unnaturally small tho. its better than what the retargeting was doing anyway. If you don't need it to look perfect this could work. You might be able to fix the rig in 3ds max or whatever program if you know how. (also i have no idea what this would do to the facial anims)

SORRY FOR SO MUCH TEXT :((( hopefully i helped somewhat haha
Ikuzu

It's all good, thanks for trying to help and responding at all. I've tried swapping Yusuke with Akira, Ryuji with Akira, Ann/Haru with Futaba's mom, etc. Using the 'replace' feature works but the models are stretched and look unnatural.
Sleepinginbloom

Its no problem at all! Especially bc i didnt do much haha.

I had a feeling the replace feature would mess it up, sorry abt that : (

Good luck on this!!! I honestly have no idea what is going wrong w ur program : ( maybe someone knows more then me...
Wishing u the best lol

Created by ShrineFox. Maintained 2020 - 2024.
Support | Privacy | Terms
This site is NOT affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Atlus Co., Ltd, Atlus U.S.A., Inc. or Sega Games Co., Ltd, or any of its subsidiaries or its affiliates.