P5 Funny Mistranslations Mod Idea

Describe your problem in as much detail as you can. Other users might help.
SeikyuuVA

Hey there! To get straight to the point, I've been watching Stryder7X's videos on a Paper Mario TTYD mod that horribly mistranslates the in-game text through boatloads of google translations, recreating the story into something random and hillarious. It's really fun, and I was wondering how possible it would be to do something like this for P5 or any of the other Persona games. I'm a total beginner at the whole modding scene, and I have no idea where to begin besides asking here if anyone has an idea / guide on how to accomplish this! Anything would be greatly appreciated!
Sleepinginbloom
Has liked: 4 posts
Been liked: 2 posts

there might be an easier way to do it, but I know you can do it manually by editing each individual text file with the mistranslations. It's very time consuming, however, but me and my sister are willing to help with that part if you need it!
SeikyuuVA

Thanks! I'd greatly appreciate it! But, what are the basic steps into getting to the text files in the first place?
Sleepinginbloom

Well it depends on how far you are i guess? Like have you extracted the data/ps3 cpks from p5's raw files? If not thats fine, I just wanna know how in depth of an explanation i should give lol
Cherry Cream Soda
Has liked: 1 post
Been liked: 10 posts

Ironically I've been working on the very same thing.
It's not as easy as with TTYD

See, one major problem is the fact that it's completely inconsistent how/where the story bf/msg's are placed.
Another huge problem is the fact that all messages are stored like:

Code: Select all

[dlg MSG_001_0_0 [Sojiro]]
[s][bup 0 103 1 0 0][f 4 10 -1 0 0][vp 8 0 0 2 -1 0]Don't you have anything exciting[n]happening? I mean, you've been[n]here nearly a whole year.[n][f 1 3 -1][w][e]
[s][f 4 10 -1 0 0][vp 8 0 0 3 -1 0]Y'know, when I was[n]young, hoo boy...[n][f 1 3 -1][w][e]
With newlines being [n] and a ton of data stored before the actual text, making replacement extraordinarily tedious.
Sleepinginbloom

Yaaaa the text editing is definitely annoying as heck, especially when you're going through all of it. Good luck on it though!
SeikyuuVA

Ah, I see. I guess it really is a tough task to do. Thank you for the contributions to this thread, everyone c: I'm slowly starting to understand it, but I think at the current moment, I don't have the power to work on the mod consistently for at least the next couple of weeks. Still I wish you all the luck and courage for working on it, Blue! Though if there becomes a way that I can help out, I'll try my best to!

Created by ShrineFox. Maintained 2020 - 2024.
Support | Privacy | Terms
This site is NOT affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Atlus Co., Ltd, Atlus U.S.A., Inc. or Sega Games Co., Ltd, or any of its subsidiaries or its affiliates.