P3FES Modding Issue

Describe your problem in as much detail as you can. Other users might help.
cute_veggie

Trying to replace P3CTOP2.SFD (ensured the new video was the correct length and all, took me ages to get it properly converted), made the mod with Mod Compendium, replaced files in .iso and saved with UltraISO premium. It gets stuck on a black screen after the PS2 boot screen; the full PCSX2 error log looks like this, the errors being the "(EE pc:00521274) TLB Miss, adr=0x___ [store]" lines and the "E0040701:Illigal format(not AFS).(adxf_GetPtStat)" (which it kept repeating until I shut the game down). The TLB Miss lines tend to happen whenever I try to install any mod that replaces data.cvm and SLUS216.21 (replacing only BGM.cvm works fine), but the E0040701 thing is unique to this one.

I'm very new to modding so I'm not exactly sure what the issue is? Any help would be much appreciated.
ShrineFox
Site Admin
Has liked: 277 posts
Been liked: 115 posts

I think we may have finally found the underlying issue, sometimes the process used to patch the file would exit before it was complete, leading to an unmodified executable (which would cause crashes for mods with big files, such as music)

Lemme know if updating to the latest version available here helps: https://shrinefox.com/?tool=modcompendium
Dlon93
Has liked: 4 posts
Been liked: 1 post

ShrineFox wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:14 am I think we may have finally found the underlying issue, sometimes the process used to patch the file would exit before it was complete, leading to an unmodified executable (which would cause crashes for mods with big files, such as music)

Lemme know if updating to the latest version available here helps: https://shrinefox.com/?tool=modcompendium
I tried the latest version of the mod manager, and I'm still getting the same errors when trying to mod Persona 3 FES :(

TLB missing, invalid format etc. I followed all of the instructions, definitely.

EDIT: The old Persona Patcher tool works great. My edits work, the game boots and no problem. It would be so great if you could get the Mod Compendium to work like this, as it's A LOT more user friendly.
Reishiki
Been liked: 2 posts

I'm making a translation for the game to my mother language, everything is done and we need to test the iso file multiple times, but persona patcher is too hard for the testers to use :( It would be much appreciated if mod compendium could work for P3F as well. Thank you!
(I have the lastest version of mod compendium.)
ShrineFox
Site Admin

It's disappointing that the fix didn't seem to work, sorry about that! Out of curiosity, after modding the game, what is the CRC? If it's still DEDC3B71 then it sounds like the executable still didn't change, which was supposed to be fixed. It'd be odd if the mod compendium patched (but improperly) while the old personapatcher works fine since they both use the same exact code.
metalid

I experience a somewhat similar issue while trying to replace music with the latest version of the mod compendium. The modded iso boots without crashing, but no music plays at the menu, accompanied by a looping message in the emulator log:
cvFsOpen #1:illegal file name
E02110501 adxstmf_stat_exec: can't open BGM:
My original iso has CRC 9B2AF129, and the modded iso has the same CRC. The original iso is supposed to be for the the US version of P3FES, could that be the cause?
ShrineFox
Site Admin

Yep, sounds like it didn’t actually get patched since the CRC should be different after any files of different size have been replaced. Sounds like the music isn’t playing because the offsets in the executable no longer match the ISO. Luckily PersonaPatcher still works for that, but we really gotta fix the compendium, it looks like
ShrineFox
Site Admin

Let's try this: Instead of trying to fix the patcher exiting before it's finished, I just integrated it directly with the Mod Compendium. I think the problems so far have just been rooted in the fact that it's been using the exe via commandline this whole time. So far this build has worked for me:

Created by ShrineFox. Maintained 2020 - 2024.
Support | Privacy | Terms
This site is NOT affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Atlus Co., Ltd, Atlus U.S.A., Inc. or Sega Games Co., Ltd, or any of its subsidiaries or its affiliates.