Persona 3 - AI Upscale Textures Mod (Released)

Describe your problem in as much detail as you can. Other users might help.
MathRick007

I did that last night, it worked. The problem is the resolution, not the method.
I have absolutely no idea how to edit the executable. I was hoping that here would be someone with more knologe in this area to help me. But seem that no one here are interessed in upscales, I din't even expected to have a reply of other user.

Apparently this sdfmuxspp tool can create .sfd files https://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?t=3084#p25927

Can you give a link for the custom pcsx2 build made by rexi? or it's a private pcsx2 build?
Alan3D
Has liked: 37 posts
Been liked: 23 posts

I'll let Rexis share it if he feels like it, i don't know if i have permission myself to share it. You are not the only one interested in upscales, but finding someone with the time and patience to reverse engienieer the games eboot on demand is another matter entirely.
MathRick007

Could you ask him? I didn't found his profile here to send he a message.
His pcsx2 build can replace textures of other games? I want to upscale Silent Hill 2 and 3 textures too.

But if the pcsx2 build can't go public, it's worthless cuz I couldn't share my modded files.
-
I found a better way to make .sfd videos without the use of that old tools indexed on the modding wiki.

FFmpeg https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/ can convert .sfd to .mp4 or any other format.
SfdmuxApp.zip https://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?t=3084#p25927 Can convert .m1v videos to .sfd

The conversion is instantaneous unlike that old tools that takes several minutes to convert the videos.
All video configs like bitrate, codec, fps etc can be edited through FFmpeg commands.

FFmpeg needs some other commands to keep quality when converting to .m1v, cuz if you use the simple command like ''-i video.mp4 output.m1v'' there will be a great loss in quality.

I don't documented well how to do it, so this is not a tutorial, but is not that difficult, it's just cmd commands.
I searched about .sfd video format for about 5 hours, and made several tests. I should have written a tutorial.
Now I have forgotten most part of the commands that I used.

But I know for sure that FFmpeg and SfdmuxApp can modify the game videos.
It's way better than that ''SEGA Dreamcast Movie Creator'' tool, that one has taken 10 minutes to make a 26 seconds .sfd
Alan3D

This is really usefull, thanks
MathRick007

If he give permission, send me this pcsx2 build through PM.
But if he didn't plan to make a public release of it, as I said, would be worthless cuz I couldn't share my mods.
Or send me his discord id, so I can talk with him.

Now I will try to edit the game executable. I have some experience with hex editing. Probably I won't get nothing, but worth give a shot.
It can't be easy as change .sfd to .mp4 through hex edit.
pelvisbass
Has liked: 9 posts
Been liked: 15 posts

I have been trying to upscale textures using Rexis' build for a bit (here are a few of my upscales)
however pcsx2 is only able to handle so many textures and ends up crashing sadly so until more stuff gets figured out it will be hard to do more than a few select textures. Also about .sfd files, from my understanding messing around with a criware sdk for the xbox there is a hard resolution limit and the p3 fmvs are already really close to it. However I have also been working to just filter the fmvs using vapoursyth
(filters not final I need to do some fixing up on things) but I think at least for the version used in persona 3 the .sfd files actually use .m2v though I am not 100% sure... I do have a more up to date sofdec multiplexer (version 0.25) however I am not sure if it works and it also needs a .sfa file for audio
MathRick007

For what I seen yesterday the resolution limit of .sfd files seems to be 1280x720, it's the highest resolution that I could've find in a game (PES in this case).
It's not FullHD but still way better than 640x448

If we edit the game executable, theoretically we could increase the resolution cap.
I don't know how to do that, but will try.

Your upscales are way better than mine.
Wich model did you used? fatal pixels?

I never managed to install esrgan, allways get errors. So I using a new Waifu2x tool released recently. https://github.com/AaronFeng753/Waifu2x-Extension-GUI
But it's inegable that esrgan is the better option to upscale.

Well, since you guys are aleardy improving the game textures, I think I will stop my upscales.

About the crashes, I don't think they are related to PCSX2 itself.

Most of the games has predeterminated limits of ram, vram, polygons, sounds, etc.

For GTA games on pc there is a mod called "limit adjuster" that increase the games limits. This even allowed some russian modder to port the entire map of GTA IV and GTA V to GTA SA, wich would be impossible without the limit adjuster. https://gtaforums.com/topic/854296-v2saxiv2sa/

So, for example on a game that only allow 20.000 polygons rendered at same time, if you put a weapon model with 6000 polys, the game will eventually crash when you pass trough detailed scenery with much polys.

That's probably what's happening with persona. The game probably have a internal vram limit.
-

But I still would like to have this custom pcsx2 build to Upscale Silent Hill 2 textures. Where I can contact the guy?

I already saw this ''private tools'' thing before in other modding communities. I think it don't makes sense. Modding tools should be available for all people, not a select group of people.
Just imagine how stagnated Persona modding comunity would be if all tools avaliable here was private tools.

Even that PCSX2 build is WIP, the best outcome would be realease the source code and the current version.
Cuz this would turn possible to other people help improve the build.
There is a guy that made a hd texture for a PS1 game (Dino crisis I think), but he didn't share his tool.
This turned impossible for me to make a AI Upscale mod for Silent Hill 1. https://www.silenthillcommunity.com/vie ... 5&t=438705
At least is just a few of creators that have this line of thinking.
Most of people release the tools and source from the very beginning.

edit
The executable has 12162 entries of 280
The problem is which one would be the resolution...

This Rexi guy really exist? I can't found nothing about him on google,
and trough this forum search, the only mention to his name is made by you two on this topic. Also, I can't find any user with this name here.
We were talking about the difficulty of texture modding on PS1 and PS2 at github other day, and now you guys say that this Rexi guy made a custom pcsx2 build with texture dump/reimport option?
I asked where I can contact him various times, and no one reply.

As far I can see, such PCSX2 build simply does not exist.
And I see that you two are also improving the game textures.
Well, as I said, I won't continue this project, so I will not be competition to you two.
Absolutely zero necessity to make up a false pcsx2 build and say that only this magical build that can't be found anywere is capable to insert HD texture back to the game.

Is like I come here and say that a guy named Markirin143 made a tool that load 4K mp4 videos into the game, but I can't share the tool here cuz I don't have his permission.
pelvisbass
Has liked: 9 posts
Been liked: 15 posts

I was actually looking into making a program like that so if you know where I can contact Markirin143 let me know please. About the upscale it was done using a interp between some different models. If you would like I can try to help you with esrgan just pm me on discord PelvisBass#8205.
Alan3D

No need to give up, the more computers the better
MathRick007

So this custom PCSX2 build doesn't exist, Rexi doesn't exist and you guys were just pretending? If it wasn't to make me cease my mod, then why?
And if you two are making the same thing as me, why should I continue? and your results are way better than mine.

You guys fooled me. I searched Rexi through this forum, through pcsx2 forum, through persona discords, through google and the only place mentioning him is this topic.
You two just made me waste one hour of my time looking for a guy that dosen't exist.
I guess this was better than lost one week creating this mod for a community like this.
Ended up saving me time. Thanks. (Probably some funny guy will reply you're welcome!)
I'll just play the game using filters, better than nothing...
farewell
Last edited by MathRick007 on Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Created by ShrineFox. Maintained 2020 - 2024.
Support | Privacy | Terms
This site is NOT affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Atlus Co., Ltd, Atlus U.S.A., Inc. or Sega Games Co., Ltd, or any of its subsidiaries or its affiliates.