CVM Editing (answer, please!)

Describe your problem in as much detail as you can. Other users might help.
CaptainLevi
Has liked: 3 posts
Been liked: 1 post

I'm trying to replace a tmx file inside a .BIN from the .DATA CVM of a NTSC-U ISO of P4

I'm using DKZ Studio for that. I already have the file I want to replace with. But everytime I add it into the cvm and save with DKZ Studio, it crashes and nothing else happens...

I heard DKZ sucks, so that might be it. Anyone knows a better program for replacing files inside CVMs? I couldn't find anything else.

Thanks!
ShrineFox
Site Admin
Has liked: 277 posts
Been liked: 115 posts

If the file is bigger than the original, that's where DKZ tends to crash and burn for some reason.
Luckily, we have a couple of alternatives for building new CVMs:

1) The Mod Compendium outputs rebuilt CVM files and auto-patches the game's executable to support the new files. You just have to click the New Mod button, place your modded files in the mod's Data folder and hit Build. For example, if you were to replace CAMP.BIN from Persona 4, you'd put it in ModCompendium/Mods/Persona4/MODNAME/Data/DATA/INIT/CAMP.BIN

2) If you prefer a more manual method, there's PersonaPatcher -- which is a collection of batch files that pretty much do the same thing. It splits your CVM files into ISO files you can edit with any ISO editor, and then makes new CVMs out of them. I think the Mod Compendium is a lot more user friendly once you get the hang of it, though.

3) If you're using PCSX2, you can actually now mod the game without ever editing CVMs or the ISO at all. This is by way of the brand new HostFS modification.
CaptainLevi
Has liked: 3 posts
Been liked: 1 post

ShrineFox wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:12 pm If the file is bigger than the original, that's where DKZ tends to crash and burn for some reason.
Luckily, we have a couple of alternatives for building new CVMs:

1) The Mod Compendium outputs rebuilt CVM files and auto-patches the game's executable to support the new files. You just have to click the New Mod button, place your modded files in the mod's Data folder and hit Build. For example, if you were to replace CAMP.BIN from Persona 4, you'd put it in ModCompendium/Mods/Persona4/MODNAME/Data/DATA/INIT/CAMP.BIN

2) If you prefer a more manual method, there's PersonaPatcher -- which is a collection of batch files that pretty much do the same thing. It splits your CVM files into ISO files you can edit with any ISO editor, and then makes new CVMs out of them. I think the Mod Compendium is a lot more user friendly once you get the hang of it, though.

3) If you're using PCSX2, you can actually now mod the game without ever editing CVMs or the ISO at all. This is by way of the brand new HostFS modification.
It worked! I used the mod compedium method since HostFS requires PCSX2 1.5 or higher versions. But for some reason my PC runs better with 1.4. And I didn't understand anything about PersonaPatcher lol (I had heard of it, and tried before, but way too difficult for me to understand)

Thanks a lot

ShrineFox 2020 - 2023
Support | Progress | Labs | Privacy | Terms
This site is NOT affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Atlus Co., Ltd, Atlus U.S.A., Inc. or Sega Games Co., Ltd, or any of its subsidiaries or its affiliates.