Persona 3 FES Mod Compendium PCSX2 Black Screen bug

Describe your problem in as much detail as you can. Other users might help.
AngelicDemon
Has liked: 15 posts
Been liked: 2 posts

I'm trying to use the Persona Mod Compendium to "definitize" my Persona 3 FES game so I can play Persona 3 FES from scratch after previously losing my save data on my old laptop, and now have to start over. I never finished it, but I would like to be able to get things like the Deinterlaced Cutscenes in, and maybe more depending on what I find.

I've also tried looking into the issues provided with a black screen in using the mod compendium, but I couldn't find anything, and anyone mentioning it is never reached/returned to on the matter. Is there or is there not a fix? (And without an alternative?)
ShrineFox
Site Admin
Has liked: 277 posts
Been liked: 115 posts

If you check the PCSX2 log while it's stuck on the black screen, what does it say? There's a few different errors that seem to happen frequently:

1) "illigal format" -- not sure what the solution for this one is, some users have more luck using the outdated personapatcher method of modding the game
2) "TLB miss" -- usually happens if the game's SLUS file isn't properly patched, make sure it's been replaced with the newly generated one
3) "Searching for layer 1" -- The game's ISO has been expanded past the standard 4 GB limit of a single layer DVD, so it might take a few minutes for it to finally load but usually does
AngelicDemon
Has liked: 15 posts
Been liked: 2 posts

It was the illegal format error (and or possibly the TLB miss, because it sounds familiar, but I remember the spam of illegal format more.)

I actually did do the PersonaPatcher method previously which did work, but I was hoping it wouldn't come back down to having to use it. Thank you anyways!
ShrineFox
Site Admin
Has liked: 277 posts
Been liked: 115 posts

I think we may have finally found the underlying issue, sometimes the process used to patch the file would exit before it was complete, leading to an unmodified executable (which would cause crashes for mods with big files, such as music)

Lemme know if updating to the latest version available here helps: https://shrinefox.com/?tool=modcompendium

ShrineFox 2020 - 2023
Support | Progress | Labs | Privacy | Terms
This site is NOT affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Atlus Co., Ltd, Atlus U.S.A., Inc. or Sega Games Co., Ltd, or any of its subsidiaries or its affiliates.