[PC] [11.10.20] Persona 4 Golden - Detailed Descriptions

Share, discover, or contribute to mods for Persona 4 Golden for the PSVita and PC.
rudiger__sf

[PC] [11.10.20] Persona 4 Golden - Detailed Descriptions

Post by rudiger__sf » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:50 pm

INTRODUCTION
In Persona 4 Golden, there are a number of descriptions and "info" boxes that I feel either don't tell you anything useful, or present information in an unhelpfully abstract way. This mod aims to correct that.

1. Skill Card Descriptions
The skill card "info" you can display in your item list is practically useless; the descriptions simply reiterate the name of the skill and tell you little else.

This mod adds detailed descriptions to every skill card in the game, so you can know instantly what a skill does before you teach it to your Persona.

2. "Auto-" Skill Descriptions
But that's not all! Additionally, this mod updates all of the "Auto-" skill descriptions (Persona/Compendium views) with details of their effects.

Unlike the normal versions of Rakukaja, Marakukaja etc., the "Auto-" versions do not have detailed descriptions. Just like the skill cards, their descriptions do little more than reiterate the name of the skill, so I've updated those too.

3. Quest Descriptions
... And there's more! As of version 2.0, this mod now updates Quest descriptions too!

Quests are the one part of Persona 4 Golden that I have the most mixed-feelings towards.
Often, the objectives they ask you to complete can feel like chores without a guide. When you consider what's being asked of the player for the prizes they're awarded, it's easy to understand why many simply don't bother completing them.

My aim in rewriting the Quest descriptions was to make them more reasonable and less tedious without making them a simple "cheat-sheet" or spoiling story plot-points, all while retaining the style of the original text:
  • Quests that need you to "acquire" a particular item now tell you which enemy drops them and roughly where they can be found. Locations containing names have been obscured to avoid possible spoilers. E.g. "Y*****'s Castle 3F" is simply, "Castle 3F".
  • Quests that can be missed or left incomplete if you don't finish them by a particular date now tell you the latest date they can be completed by.
  • Quests that require a particular level of Social Stat (Knowledge, Courage etc.) to complete are now detailed appropriately.
  • Quests with infamously abstract objectives like 67 ("Dazzle Me With Paw Gloves") and 37 ("Pining for Stylish Formalwear") have had their descriptions entirely, carefully rewritten.
  • As some of the most fun and complex quests in the game (often spanning multiple tasks and days), ema requests from the shrine have been left mostly untouched for now.
4. Social Link Descriptions
... More still? In version 2.5, Social Link availability and location information has been added!

With so many social links in Persona 4, I often found myself forgetting who was available where on my first play-through and would end-up running around the map to check. To help address this, I've replaced the short bios in each profile with something more useful: the character's general locations.

These (spoiler-free) descriptions tell you where you can usually find your social links on each day of the week!

You can find a full description of this mod with additional screenshots in my Gamebanana thread.

CHANGELOG
Spoiler
Show
[11th October 2020] Version 2.5.1
- Mod is now compatible with Aemulus Package Manager for easy mod management and bin merging. Installation instructions have been updated appropriately. No other changes have been made to the mod.

[4th September 2020] Version 2.5
- General availability/location information has been added for every Social Link in the game. Full details in the thread.

If updating from a previous version, simply overwrite your "init.bin" with the new file.

[27th August 2020] Version 2.0
- Detailed Quest descriptions have been added for EVERY quest in the game.

[21st July 2020] Initial release
KNOWN ISSUES
Spoiler
Show
None! Will update if any are reported.
REQUIREMENTS
- The PC version of Persona 4 Golden
- The latest release of "p4gpc.modloader"
- The latest release of "Reloaded-II"

My installation steps assume you have used both of these mod tools before. If you have not, please read both TGEnigma's "readme" and MadMax1960's "Beginner's Guide to Modding Persona 4 Golden" before you try using my files.

INSTALLATION
NOTE: This mod was created for and tested on the latest stable Steam version of the game. I have not tested compatibility with the Denuvo-free or beta versions.

Aemulus Package Manager Install (Recommended)
  • Within the "Install" folder you'll find a "Detailed Descriptions [vX.X.X] - rudiger__gb" folder. Copy this folder as-is to your Aemulus "Packages" directory.
  • Refresh, enable the mod and merge in Aemulus. When considering priority, check the "Project Files" folder or ".aem" file included in the download to see exactly which files are changed within the main "init.bin".
  • Launch P4G via Reloaded-II as normal
FAQ
"I'm already using a mod that changes 'data00004\init.bin'. Is it possible to use both your mod and that one together?"
  • Yes, but you'll need to create a new "init.bin" of your own that includes the changes from both mods, together. When installing this mod with Aemulus Package Manager, this is done automatically. Check the ".aem" file to see exactly which files are merged.
"Do you recommend any other mods to compliment this pack?" CREDITS
TGEnigma for p4gpc.modloader and Amicitia
Sewer56 for The Reloaded Project, Reloaded-II
Last edited by rudiger__sf on Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

rudiger__sf

Re: [PC] [27.08.20] Persona 4 Golden - Detailed Descriptions

Post by rudiger__sf » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:36 am

NEW UPDATE
[27th August 2020] Version 2.0
- Detailed Quest descriptions have been added for EVERY quest in the game. Full details in the thread.

If updating from a previous version, simply overwrite your "init.bin" with the new file.

ShrineFox
Site Admin

Re: [PC] [27.08.20] Persona 4 Golden - Detailed Descriptions

Post by ShrineFox » Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:00 pm

Very very nice mod, and a well-written and organized post to boot. Thank you so much!
Disclaimer: I try to respond to everything I can, but might not always have an answer to every question.
Github | Twitter | Commissions | Project Status

rudiger__sf

Re: [PC] [04.09.20] Persona 4 Golden - Detailed Descriptions

Post by rudiger__sf » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:22 pm

NEW UPDATE
[4th September 2020] Version 2.5
- General availability/location information has been added for every Social Link in the game. Full details in the thread.

rudiger__sf

Re: [PC] [11.10.20] Persona 4 Golden - Detailed Descriptions

Post by rudiger__sf » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:32 pm

NEW UPDATE
[11th October 2020] Version 2.5.1
- Mod is now compatible with Aemulus Package Manager for easy mod management and bin merging. Installation instructions have been updated appropriately. No other changes have been made to the mod.