[Nocturne] Better sound quality

Discuss hypothetical mods that nobody has taken on yet. Modders can choose to consider these ideas for their own projects.
Sabaca
Been liked: 3 posts

Hi,

It's not so much a request but rather an interrogation. This afternoon I used DDS3Pack to take a look at Nocturne's soundfiles to better understand why most tracks suffer from such horrible sound quality. I knew it was mostly related to being sequenced music (the dynamic guitar solos, etc.) but I didn't expect them to sound that bad.

I was wondering if it was theoretically possible to replace music files with ones with a decent sample rate. And, if it is indeed possible, how would one go about it ?

Just out of curiosity I isolated some easily identifiable SMG files. /sound/MIDI0001.SMG is the intro to the town battle theme. I tried replacing it with other SMG files to see how the game would handle it when a battle starts. Apparently no music is played and the fight goes on with no BGM. I am not sure if it's about the sampling rate, the duration, or how it exactly works. Maybe someone who has already tackled the issue can illuminate me ?

(PS : Just discovered Amicitia and all its available tools today, impressive to say the least !)
lssjcorey
Been liked: 2 posts

I'm wondering whether it was due to massive compression in order to fit the DVD Disc with teh massive amount of content in the game
Sabaca
Been liked: 3 posts

Looking at the massive amount of unused assets I can find I don't think that would be quite right. Also there is quite a gap in quality between the original Nocturne songs (jap release) and the US/EU maniax new songs. For example :

- the guitar riffs heard in a world map battle have a sampling rate of 8 kHz (example : /sound/MIDI000B.SMG)
- the Amala leitmotiv has a sampling rate of 20 kHz (example : /sound/MIDI0069.SMG)

There must be more to it.

ShrineFox 2020 - 2023
Support | Progress | Labs | Privacy | Terms
This site is NOT affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Atlus Co., Ltd, Atlus U.S.A., Inc. or Sega Games Co., Ltd, or any of its subsidiaries or its affiliates.