Replacing Social Links in P3P ( femMC to MC)

Need help finding something? Is a program not working? Game crashing? Give us all the details you have and we'll try to sort it out!
Please be patient when waiting for a response, this is a small community staffed by a handful of busy volunteers. It may take up to a day or two.
Iredc
Been liked: 2 posts

Replacing Social Links in P3P ( femMC to MC)

Post by Iredc »

Hello! I'm new in here, and new to modding the Persona series (though I've made ROM hacks and mods for other games).

For the past few days, I've been trying to insert some of the social links from FemMC into the Male protagonist route. For example, replacing Nozomi with Shinjiro. Replacing the events isn't much difficult. The real problem comes with changing the dialogue that initiates such social link (in this case, Nozomi quiz).
The dialogue is stored in the init_2. bin file, and It includes the starting dialogue for all characters. Do I have to change all social links then, and not just the couple ones I had in mind? I don't know how to edit just that part of the dialogue and the .flow file. Besides, Atlus Script Compiler gives me an error when trying to decompile the .flow file from cmmScript.bf, so I can only edit It with a hex editor.
What are my options then? Am I missing something?
Iredc

Re: Replacing Social Links in P3P ( femMC to MC)

Post by Iredc »

After all I decided to replace all social links, since many of them affect the rest, and it's easier than replacing one by one.
I'm currently checking Junpei and Rio's links, and everything's going fine.
For reference, here's how I did it, and the files involved:

1) In Persona Editor, I replaced the npcCMMtable.bin of the male protagonist (inside init_2.bin) with the female equivalent (inside init_2F.bin). This places the NPCs in the map, and enables the dialogue to initiate the link. There are several files inside:

-NPCSwitchFlag.dat: I believe this activates the NPC on specific days (for example, Rio is available on Monday, Wednesday and Friday). Restoring the original .dat made her available on the same days as Katzushi.

-cmmScript.bf: The dialogue to start social link. Both the flowscript and dialogue can be edited with AtlusScriptCompiler. I restored the original dialogue and flowscript for Yukari, Mitsuru and Aegis. Specially Yukari, since her link begins much earlier in the female route, and I didn't want that.

-Several .dat files, numbered 01 to 26: Maybe they're the models and positions of the NPCs. For example, replacing m24.dat and d24.dat caused Nozomi to disappear from the fountain square. Maybe useful, if one wants to replace just one social link with a custom one.

2) To fix the Social Link screen, I changed several files inside cmm.bin (also inside init_2.bin). Most of them can be edited in hex:

-cmmName.dat: the name of the Social Link.

-cmmClubName: self-explanatory.

-cmmDiary.dat: the text on the calendar for every day.

-cmmHelp.bmd: the descriptions of people from S. Links.

cmmEventNo.dat tells the game which events to display: the ones from the male route, or the female equivalent. I left it untouched, since I only want to replace specific events, and not those of the main story, for example. The names for the Courage/Academics/Charm parameters are also in one of these files.

-The portraits seen in this screen are in data/commu/bustup.

3) Replaced some events with their female equivalent, also with Persona Editor. Only those of the S. Links that differ, the rest load the male version by default.
The Sunday phone invitations and dates don't have an alternate version, since both are contained in the same script. However, this can be edited with AtlusScriptCompiler or in hex. The function that checks whether the character is male or female in the script is:

( BIT_CHK( ( ( ( ( 0 + 0x0400 ) + 0x0800 ) + 0x0400 ) + 8 ) ) ) for male protagonist
( BIT_CHK( ( ( ( ( 0 + 0x0400 ) + 0x0800 ) + 0x0400 ) + 7 ) ) ) for female protagonist

I also deactivated Yuko and Maya's links, to avoid them being initiated by accident, and later conflicting with Koromaru and Saori.

There are still a few things I haven't fixed. For starters, there are occassions in which there's an invisible Koromaru and Ken in the dorm at night. :shock:
Also, I can't edit the name under the card in the S. Link screen (as seen below). I suspect it may be graphics and not text. But I can't find them. Replacing the cmmFormat.dat changes it along with the portrait, but messes up graphics when switching between links, and eventually freezes the game.

Niopack
Has liked: 7 posts
Been liked: 9 posts

Post by Niopack »

If I remember correctly, the names of the S.L. in the menu are in the EBOOT.BIN, they are plain text, not graphics that's for sure. You need to decode the EBOOT.BIN file within the ISO and open it with an hex editor, search for the "Kenji Tomochika" name and change it to Junpei Iori, then save the eboot and replace it.

EDIT: I was checking because I wasn't sure, and I think the real file which has all the names displayed in the Social Links Menu it's in

umd0.cpk > init_2.bin > ini/cmm.bin > cmmHelp.bmd

It has the name of the Social Links and the description for each of their ranks, you can modify them for anything you want, it's just for show.

The same for the FeMC' Social Link, but in the "init_2F.bin", intead of the "init_2.bin"
Iredc

Post by Iredc »

Thank you! I changed the names in EBOOT.BIN and It worked as a charm. Apparently, that's the only text in that screen that it's not contained in cmmHelp.bmd, which it's pretty weird. The cmmFormat.dat changes those names along with the portrait; that's why I thought It might be graphics at first.

Actually, replacing cmmFormat.dat is very important, since It assigns the correct Arcana to each link. Fortunately, the file is simple so I could edit It in hex to stop It from crashing the game.

Regarding the other post, yeah, I found out a while ago that b07_19.abin was indeed the correct file for the bedroom. I was doing something wrong with the script, so the changes weren't showing. Already fixed.

The Koromaru and Ken keep showing at the dorm, and they're not even invisible anymore!! I have no idea why that happens, since I didn't touch the scripts to spawn NPCs. Also, suddenly there are two Junpeis in the classroom every Thursday. Maybe it's because I'm changing things while playing, so the save states turn a little crazy...
Niopack
Has liked: 7 posts
Been liked: 9 posts

Post by Niopack »

Your welcome! I was editing the files of the Dorm once, trying to pinpoint the actual Lounge files, and for a bad praxis using ModCompendium, I ended up loading a Lounge with nothing to click on, the only files I was working on back then were the ones within FIELD2D/BG folder, so maybe there is something regarding the npc appearing or not in those files, which has sense since they are related, maybe if you dig in you could find something about that in the .abin files.

This might be off-topic, but how do you change things while playing? Modifying savestates or with software such as cheat engine? I'm not very versatile programming and that stuff (I know one thing or two), but I think it would be helpful to know how to do it regardless!
Iredc

Post by Iredc »

I wasn't very clear. By changing things while playing, I meant I kept rebuilding the mod, then resuming the playthrough. As result, sometimes I got a crash or freeze, because the environment was suddenly changed.
It would be possible to change things on the fly using Cheat Engine, I guess. But the changes would last only as long as you have the game attached to it, because It just modifies the memory, not the actual game files. Besides, generally it doesn't work very well with emulators. Though I believe that was fixed with a plugin called HookAnyText.

By the way, there's no more Junpei clones or Koromaru at dorm! The files involved in the end, were inside the scheduler folder. There's a file for each month, and inside, a function called cmu_flag_set ( something like that), which spawns NPCs, and has different routines for male and female protagonist. Since I hadn't touched It so far, It was loading them at wrong times.
Iredc

Post by Iredc »

The mod is finished!

You can get it here: https://gamebanana.com/mods/308986