[Non Persona/Atlus] Modding via HostFS with a hidden filesystem

Describe your problem in as much detail as you can. Other users might help.
Tayruu
Has liked: 1 post
Been liked: 1 post

I'm not sure if this is a possible thing to ask since it's not about games covered here, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

So the "modding using HostFS" seems really useful for being able to soft-mod games by simply sticking the files in the same directory. Unfortunately the ISO I want to experiment with has its assets hidden.

Specifically, Star Ocean 3.
The lack of visibility of the game assets means I can't tell what the file structure is. So I'm not sure if this method would work, or how I'd do it, even before working out an individual file's format!
ShrineFox
Site Admin
Has liked: 277 posts
Been liked: 115 posts

The problem with HostFS patches is each game's file loading code needs to be decompiled and reverse engineered to make a unique PNACH that redirects where they're loaded from. In this case, I'm not even sure if the game uses criware so it'd be very different.

However, TGE (creator of the HostFS patches) also released a "universal ISO director" for Reloaded II, very similar to his P4G PC mod loader. Others have tested it with various PCSX2 games and it seems to work, although I've never tried it so I don't have much more info on using it.
In this case, the way they stored the files might be a problem though... I assume the files are in the .IMG, which is likely some kind of proprietary container format if it's not another ISO. It also appears to be smaller than the game's executable (maybe there's more on Disc 2?)
Tayruu
Has liked: 1 post
Been liked: 1 post

Yeah, the main thing is that none of the ISO internals (that 7zip can see, or if I put the disc into a DVD drive) match the size of the disc. Both discs are the same in this regards. As far as I can find out the game uses a custom table of contents, but how to make use of this information is beyond me. I'm assuming the TOC information is somewhere visible, and the IMG file there doesn't actually contain the game assets, or surely I'd observe it in its filesize.

ShrineFox 2020 - 2023
Support | Progress | Labs | Privacy | Terms
This site is NOT affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Atlus Co., Ltd, Atlus U.S.A., Inc. or Sega Games Co., Ltd, or any of its subsidiaries or its affiliates.