[Persona 5] Imported model kinda weird.

Describe your problem in as much detail as you can. Other users might help.
Maegix
Has liked: 4 posts
Been liked: 6 posts

So I've swapped Joker's Phantom Outfit model with Makoto from P3D. I followed ShrineFox's tutorial on rigging models and it works perfectly. Almost. I've had this error when the model is loaded in GFDStudio and In-Game.

Video of In-Game: https://streamable.com/7akboh

Image of GFDStudio: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... nknown.png

Could somebody please try and tell me where I may be doing something wrong?
Thanks in advance!
Currently working on: Something useless.
Crowpocalypse
Has liked: 1 post
Been liked: 11 posts

It looks like you missed some verts while rigging, happens to all of us. All you gotta do is go back to 3DS Max and load up your model. It may look fine in the T pose, so you're gonna want to load in an animation to find those pesky verts. Once located and rigged accordingly, you can use the maxscript (make sure it keep that open while working) and click the option to reset the model to the T pose for exporting again.
Arist and co-creator of the P5 Adachi Mod.
Youtube || Twitter || Commissions || Ko-fi || Project Updates
Maegix

Crowpocalypse wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:12 am It looks like you missed some verts while rigging, happens to all of us. All you gotta do is go back to 3DS Max and load up your model. It may look fine in the T pose, so you're gonna want to load in an animation to find those pesky verts. Once located and rigged accordingly, you can use the maxscript (make sure it keep that open while working) and click the option to reset the model to the T pose for exporting again.
So i found out that in P3D's models there are some invisible meshes that were still on the normal model rotation, could those be the cause of this?

EDIT: Also im using the simple way of rigging of using a skin wrap modifier instead of individually rigging stuff because I've just started using 3ds Max and last time I was doing a full rig the program crashed and didn't autosave.
ShrineFox
Site Admin
Has liked: 277 posts
Been liked: 115 posts

Ah skinwrap, that’d do it. It’s good for really similar meshes that are aligned well, and even has an option named “weigh all vertices” that could help with the unweighted parts. You could also play around with the tolerance values to improve the range of influence bones have on the mesh.

When it comes to details though, skin wrap’s not that great. The face is probably so messed up because there’s so many bones in such a small area, and since the faces don’t perfectly line up it has to approximate a lot. It’s best to use the skin wrap as a base and then go over problem areas like that manually by loading an animation and using the weight tool— be sure to save it as a separate scene from your tposed model

Click on the object’s Skin modifier, check the Vertices box, open the Weight Tool, select the problematic vertices and assign them to a bone:

Import/export envelopes is also an option under the skin modifier, for each skin you correct you can save the changes to a .env file and load it on your tpose mesh (saved before loading the animation)
Maegix

ShrineFox wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:53 am Ah skinwrap, that’d do it. It’s good for really similar meshes that are aligned well, and even has an option named “weigh all vertices” that could help with the unweighted parts. You could also play around with the tolerance values to improve the range of influence bones have on the mesh.

When it comes to details though, skin wrap’s not that great. The face is probably so messed up because there’s so many bones in such a small area, and since the faces don’t perfectly line up it has to approximate a lot. It’s best to use the skin wrap as a base and then go over problem areas like that manually by loading an animation and using the weight tool— be sure to save it as a separate scene from your tposed model

Click on the object’s Skin modifier, check the Vertices box, open the Weight Tool, select the problematic vertices and assign them to a bone:

Import/export envelopes is also an option under the skin modifier, for each skin you correct you can save the changes to a .env file and load it on your tpose mesh (saved before loading the animation)
Could there be a way to simply pick the model rips from other Persona games like the Dancing ones and use GFDStudio to replace the originals without having to do rigging work?
I've wanted to do a little mod for Persona 5 for a while but i'm not really good at modelling/rigging and are more experienced with scripting. I did want to learn to actually use 3ds max but my current PC isn't really that good for a lot of things and with the current problems in the tech industry AND some financial problems on my part an upgrade is far from a possible reality.

ShrineFox 2020 - 2023
Support | Progress | Labs | Privacy | Terms
This site is NOT affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Atlus Co., Ltd, Atlus U.S.A., Inc. or Sega Games Co., Ltd, or any of its subsidiaries or its affiliates.