[Aemulus/Persona 3 FES] Merging package files with ".." directories internally

Describe your problem in as much detail as you can. Other users might help.
Tayruu
Has liked: 1 post
Been liked: 1 post

So I've been playing around with modding Persona 3, specifically attempting to fix some visual artefacts on the UI and the fact that social link fusion bonuses still say "Commu Rank" in the localisation.
At first I was just inserting files directly into CAMP_ALL.PAK and PSS_COMBINE.PAK, but then I realised Aemulus lets you modify the package files in part, and merge the changes in.

I am able to modify the arcana names in the pause menu by creating \DATA\CAMP\CAMP_ALL\main_all\i_new_camp_main03\i_new_camp04.tmx, this works fine because inside CAMP_ALL.PAK file is main_all/i_new_camp_main03.spr.

But for "Commu Rank" there's a problem. In PSS_COMBINE.PAK this image is ../camp/status/i_new_camp_status03.spr. I can't exactly create a directory called "..", so I'm a little lost how to patch this file without replacing the PAK file entirely.

In PSS_COMBINE.PAK is another copy of the arcana names, in the form of ../camp/main_all/i_new_camp_main03.spr. Given its similarity to the "Commu Rank" image name/directory, it gave me the idea that I simply need to put i_new_camp_status03.spr in the same relative location, inside \DATA\CAMP\CAMP_ALL\status\i_new_camp_status03, but this throws an error.

Code: Select all

[WARNING] Couldn't find [x]\DATA\CAMP\CAMP_ALL\status\i_new_camp_status03\i_camp_status13.tmx in [x]\DATA\CAMP\CAMP_ALL_temp\status\i_new_camp_status01.spr
It makes sense this doesn't work, because it's currently trying to merge CAMP_ALL.PAK, which does not contain "i_new_camp_main03". For that matter, supposing that "status" means I should refer to the status package rather than CAMP_ALL, it also doesn't have a "i_new_camp_main03".

I then considered that ".." probably meant only one level higher, and if the PAK was a pseudo-directory, then with regards to ..\camp\main_all\i_new_camp_main03.spr, the camp folder would be directly in FACILITY. This doesn't throw and error, but it doesn't patch anything either. The game doesn't appear to make use of the new file.

So I then tried simply excluding the "..", as the readme seems to suggest, but that doesn't work either.

Code: Select all

[WARNING] Couldn't find [x]\DATA\FACILITY\PSS_COMBINE\camp\main_all\i_new_camp_main03\i_new_camp04.tmx in [x]\DATA\FACILITY\PSS_COMBINE_temp\..\camp\main_all\i_new_camp_main03.spr
So I don't really know what to do. I'm not sure if this is something Aemulus can't handle yet, or if there's something I'm missing.

All that said, I would've assumed there's a singular file to refer to for i_new_camp_main03.spr, amongst other reused assets. If I want to update this I have to patch a large number of PAK files, which feels like I'm doing something wrong. Unless P3FES really does duplicate files for every screen.

tldr: I want to soft-mod/patch a PAK file where its internal filenames/directories have ".." in them, which I naturally can't do as that's not a real directory name. Is this possible in some way, or will I simply have to mod them with Amicitia and include whole PAK files in my mod where this is a problem?
Tekka
Been liked: 9 posts

So I only accounted for "../../" and "../../../" I just updated Aemulus to 2.4.0 to account for "../" now so just keep it removed. Thanks for bringing it up to my attention.
Tayruu
Has liked: 1 post
Been liked: 1 post

Thanks a lot for that update, it now works nicely with "../" files.

ShrineFox 2020 - 2023
Support | Progress | Labs | Privacy | Terms
This site is NOT affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Atlus Co., Ltd, Atlus U.S.A., Inc. or Sega Games Co., Ltd, or any of its subsidiaries or its affiliates.