[Catherine] Looking to get started

Describe your problem in as much detail as you can. Other users might help.
Godot

Howdy,
I know most of you have worked with Persona games, but I'm interested in trying to mod Catherine (both Catherine Classic and Full Body). I've been reading through the FAQ and the game wiki on this site has been a handy starting point. I was looking at the AtlusScript Tools and noticed that libraries don't exist for either Catherine game for the AtlusScript compiler to turn the .bf files into .flow. So my first question: Is there a program for generating these libraries? The second question I have is: What does the outline for adding support for a game to the AtlusScript toolset look like? I was trying to follow along the commits on https://github.com/TGEnigma/Atlus-Script-Tool but I'm having a tough time understanding how it all works. Lastly, although this isn't a question, I would greatly appreciate any reference/learning material that could be useful. I have no experience in reverse engineering but I would really like to learn.
ShrineFox
Site Admin
Has liked: 277 posts
Been liked: 115 posts

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will see this and reply, but here's what I know:

The process of creating an AtlusScriptCompiler library is unfortunately rather technically complex, I've never done it before (and afaik, mainly only TGE ever has). It involves dumping the function signatures from the game's ELF (converted from eboot.bin) after finding the addresses with a decompiler such as IDA pro/Ghidra. Aside from this snippet of conversation I don't have more specific details on how it's done. There's also this example python script he wrote to dump them from Nocturne, for reference.

Sorry for the inconvenience as I know a lot of games are missing libraries and it would be awesome to have them all. It seems for us laymen it's a matter of waiting until someone capable of finding and dumping the addresses takes interest
Godot

Greatly appreciate the response regardless! TGE seems like a wicked smart person. Catherine will just have to stay where it is until a much more capable person than me comes along.

ShrineFox 2020 - 2023
Support | Progress | Labs | Privacy | Terms
This site is NOT affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Atlus Co., Ltd, Atlus U.S.A., Inc. or Sega Games Co., Ltd, or any of its subsidiaries or its affiliates.