SMT NINE text spacing problem

Describe your problem in as much detail as you can. Other users might help.
Oldamar999
Has liked: 1 post

Howdy Amicitians!

My friend Mr.Richard999 has been trying to translate Shin Megami Tensei NINE, but for almost a year he has had this problem with the text spacing. Basically, whenever he tries to insert English text into the textboxes, the text is spaced like this so it looks bad and often flows outside of the textbox, he has tried to replace the font with a smaller version of the font the game also uses (the one in this image), but it didn't do anything to change the weird spacing. This is not an emulation issue by the way, since he has the same problem with real hardware.

I was wondering if anyone on Amicitia would know how to fix a problem such as this since it has been going on for quite some time and has been preventing Richard from getting the translation project continued. or maybe at the very least someone could direct us to, say, an XBOX modding discord or forum who might be familiar with issues like this and could help us out, any help would be greatly appreciated! also i'm sorry if this is not something I am allowed to post.
Alan3D
Has liked: 37 posts
Been liked: 23 posts

It might be a Shift-JIS (or other Japanese text encoding) thing, which I don't know how you could get arround unless theres a generic XBOX script encoder. Have they tried to use a western game's english font instead? If it's a font kerning issue and not an encoding one it could help, worse case scenario the spacing being hardcoded. This is a common issue for fan translation projects of japanese games, perhaps look up other fan translation projects and if they had managed to get arround it.A few names that comes to mind is Iwakura Productions and TraduSquare (spanish), in case they could shield some light into the issue.
Oldamar999

Alan3D wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:27 pm It might be a Shift-JIS (or other Japanese text encoding) thing, which I don't know how you could get arround unless theres a generic XBOX script encoder. Have they tried to use a western game's english font instead? If it's a font kerning issue and not an encoding one it could help, worse case scenario the spacing being hardcoded. This is a common issue for fan translation projects of japanese games, perhaps look up other fan translation projects and if they had managed to get arround it.A few names that comes to mind is Iwakura Productions and TraduSquare (spanish), in case they could shield some light into the issue.
apparently he has tried out replacing it with a western font, but it turned out to be broken, so it wouldn't work. sorry
Oldamar999

At the very least, you think you know of any community that would know how to fix an issue like this? I havent been able to get a hint of an XBOX modding discord yet.
Alan3D
Has liked: 37 posts
Been liked: 23 posts

Does the font in the game, or any of the fonts they replaced have half-width japanese characters? If they do those are the characters you should replace for english

ShrineFox 2020 - 2023
Support | Progress | Labs | Privacy | Terms
This site is NOT affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Atlus Co., Ltd, Atlus U.S.A., Inc. or Sega Games Co., Ltd, or any of its subsidiaries or its affiliates.