Modifying Iwatodai's Dorm files in P3P (I give up)

Describe your problem in as much detail as you can. Other users might help.
Niopack
Has liked: 8 posts
Been liked: 9 posts

I'm currently translating (almost done!) P3P. I've been modifying a lot of files, and it has been very smooth so far, but for some reason, no matter how many changes I make and how many different ways I replace the files, the Iwatodai's Dorm text won't change!

The files are located in umd0.cpk>data>field2d>bg>b07_02.abin, alongside others .abin files, these other files work perfectly fine when modified, but for some reason, b07_02.abin doesn't changes in-game. I tried replacing the .bf files inside of it, the .dat, everything, but it won't change.

It can be two different reasons, whether that the file is not the one used for the Dorm (is the only file with the text used for the dorm, so I don't think this it's the reason), or there is another barrier preventing the game to load the .abin with the replaced files, but that would mean that ALL the Dorm's text is encoded in another place, and is A LOT of text (approximately 900kb in plain text, five days translating), so I doubt it.

I don't know man, I'm lost, I have no idea, any suggestion? Would be really appreciated!
EDIT: I find out something. In the same folder, the .bin files contain the tmx used for each .abin (i.e., each location in the game), they have the same numbers that their equivalent .abin file in their names (b07_02c01.bin for b07_02.abin, that means they refer to the same location). Alright, the b07_02 tmx files start with the dorm in day-time (the ones used the free days and the Sundays), I test it out and these days are the only days where the replaced files appear, but the rest of the days where you are indoor at night, the files still unchanged, even when I change the sprites for the dorm at night, they still the same (they are related, but independent from each other).

How is that possible? It's the only file that doesn't change when you replace it, and most importantly, HOW CAN THE GAME EVEN LOAD THE TEXT FOR THE DORM IN ENGLISH IF ALL THAT TEXT IS ALREADY GONE? I'm losing my mind!
Last edited by Niopack on Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Niopack

Sorry for bringing this thing up again, but any ideas? That and the text in the beginning of the game (Time never waits, it delivers all equally to the same end bla bla bla) are litterally the ONLY things I need to successfully replace to finish my trasnlation mod!
Niopack

I found something, something I didn't want to check because, if that was the reason, all my work was for nothing. I replaced the EBOOT.BIN with the Japanese one, which means that everything encoded and encrypted within the EBOOT.BIN will appear in Japanese with such change. As expected, the Dorm's text is in Japanese, and as far as I know, there is no way to decrypt the eboot in its totality. I know you can decrypt it using PPSSPP, I already did it to modify some text, but of course, some things still encrypted, and I can't find anything regarding the Dorm's text in the EBOOT.BIN, so I guess all my work was for nothing, after a year translating it, I give up.

How ironic is that I was desperately looking for a way to decrypt the eboot so I can finish my translation, only to find out how to do it and realize that precise file was going to be my doom. Thanks to everyone in the forum that helped out with the process, I hope it helps someone else as well with their mods.
Iredc
Been liked: 6 posts

I know this is an old post, but just for reference: There's a separate p07_02.bin inside the fiel2d folder (but outside the bg subfolder). I could modify the dorm script at nighttime editing the .bf inside that one. What I can't seem to edit is the dialogue inside the dorm room. There are several files which contain the bedroom script (b07_01.abin, b07_19.abin and b07_20.abin), and none of them works. :shock:
Niopack

I feel so embarrased for being such a cry baby in this post, but I was really depressed and burnt out back then... Yes, I found it a few months later, it's indeed in the p07_02.bin (I don't know how I missed it), but thanks anyways, I appreciate it a lot, regarding your question, the same happened to me when I was editing it, the actual files you are looking for are in b07_19.bin (MC), and b07_20.bin (FeMC), the main difference it's that, I think the b07_01 it's used for "cutscenes" and event-related scripts, whereas when you step in your room for the first time, a little tutorial text appears telling you how to move around and interact with the things, the only file in all the game which has it is b07_19.bin and b07_20.bin, are you completly sure it didn't work for you editing these?

ShrineFox 2020 - 2023
Support | Progress | Labs | Privacy | Terms
This site is NOT affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Atlus Co., Ltd, Atlus U.S.A., Inc. or Sega Games Co., Ltd, or any of its subsidiaries or its affiliates.