Video subtitles editing (P4G PC)

Describe your problem in as much detail as you can. Other users might help.
Sakimotor
Has liked: 7 posts
Been liked: 2 posts

Hello. I am currently translating the PC version of Persona 4 Golden along with a group of people. So far we have found most of text and sprites we needed to edit. We have no luck with the subtitles though.

I tried checking the .USM files with ffmpeg but it finds no subtitle track. I also have found no files that may look like subtitles in the game's files.

Do you guys know how the game handles subtitles ? Thanks in advance !
Crowpocalypse
Has liked: 1 post
Been liked: 11 posts

The cutscenes have their subs stored in the exe. Open the exe up in a hex editor and use a search function to find all of them.
Arist and co-creator of the P5 Adachi Mod.
Youtube || Twitter || Commissions || Ko-fi || Project Updates
Alan3D
Has liked: 37 posts
Been liked: 23 posts

What language are you translating to?
Sakimotor

Alan3D wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:22 am What language are you translating to?
French.
Sakimotor

It looks like the subtitles are indeed inside the .exe file. This means that I would have to find a way of modifying the .exe's length without rendering it unusable if I wanted to sub the game properly. Thanks for the help !

EDIT : Actually, the game's default font doesn't even support french characters, the real fun begins now I guess
Last edited by Sakimotor on Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nulla
Has liked: 10 posts
Been liked: 5 posts

Sakimotor wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:49 am It looks like the subtitles are indeed inside the .exe file. This means that I would have to find a way of modifying the .exe's length without rendering it unusable if I wanted to sub the game properly. Thanks for the help !
Have you actually found the subtitles' text in the .exe? I've looked into it with HxD but I can't seem to find anything useful.
Sakimotor

Nulla wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:04 am
Sakimotor wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:49 am It looks like the subtitles are indeed inside the .exe file. This means that I would have to find a way of modifying the .exe's length without rendering it unusable if I wanted to sub the game properly. Thanks for the help !
Have you actually found the subtitles' text in the .exe? I've looked into it with HxD but I can't seem to find anything useful.
Yeah, the subtitle strings start at 0x5C2B78
Nulla

Sakimotor wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:15 am
I swear I looked up for "Welcome" in the .exe and it found nothing, no idea why, thank you so much. Have you found a way to edit them without messing up the .exe yet?
Sakimotor

Nulla wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:30 am

I swear I looked up for "Welcome" in the .exe and it found nothing, no idea why, thank you so much. Have you found a way to edit them without messing up the .exe yet?
Well, you could edit the strings, but you can only do so as long as there are less or as much strings as before, so this is the best I've got (I used Biénvenue instead of "Bienvenue", just to show that french characters don't work) Image

I'm sure there is a way of increasing the .exe's size without corrupting it, by modifying the length that's precised in the header for example, but I know nothing about where a .exe's header is located or how it works, so...

Oh, and, most importantly, I don't know how the game handles the separation between sentences or how it knows which subtitle belongs to which video, so I guess that is also to be found and modified... I will probably end up editing the videos themselves by hardcoding some subtitles to them, rather than struggling with all these issues
Nulla

Sakimotor wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:40 am
Nulla wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:30 am

Well, you could edit the strings, but you can only do so as long as there are less or as much strings as before, so this is the best I've got (I used Biénvenue instead of "Bienvenue", just to show that french characters don't work) Image

I'm sure there is a way of increasing the .exe's size without corrupting it, by modifying the length that's precised in the header for example, but I know nothing about where a .exe's header is located or how it works, so...
I know a team working on the spanish translation posted an image of the subtitles with accented characters, so there must be a way to do so. I'll look into it.

ShrineFox 2020 - 2023
Support | Progress | Labs | Privacy | Terms
This site is NOT affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Atlus Co., Ltd, Atlus U.S.A., Inc. or Sega Games Co., Ltd, or any of its subsidiaries or its affiliates.