How can i add accent marks to a game?

Describe your problem in as much detail as you can. Other users might help.
Cachito50

In trying to edit text of persona 4 and the game doesn't recognize letters with accent marks like á, é, í, etc.
What can i do to solve this?
azurassong
Has liked: 2 posts

I have the same problem with P3P! If i found out how to fix it, i'll let you know!
rwkhwk
Has liked: 4 posts
Been liked: 5 posts

This is just a guess, but it's possible that the game's font files don't contain letters with accent marks. I haven't taken apart the PS2 version of P4 in a long while, but you might be able to replace the font or add in those characters. It might take some more work if the font is in a sprite sheet

I'm not sure how many languages these games were localized to, but if Atlus only did JP > ENG translations that'd explain why those characters are missing
Alan3D
Has liked: 37 posts
Been liked: 23 posts

You need a program called PersonaEditor in order to edit the .FNT files from the game, on the lastest versions you can edit them in real time in the program but you can also use older versions to just extract the glyph bitmaps with command line, I'm certain that the font does not have accents or any non english letter as they'd have no use in an official english translation. Theres already Spanish, Russian, and i belive portuguese mods on the works if its of any help. Heres the tool: https://github.com/Meloman19/PersonaEditor
Reishiki
Been liked: 2 posts

I use personaeditor to map code to newly created accent characters, this is the font file for Vietnamese localization we're doing:

I must manually add all needed accent marked characters by using Photoshop. Then use PersonaEditor to map them with proper unicode.
Result:
PedroTav9

Reishiki wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:27 pm I use personaeditor to map code to newly created accent characters, this is the font file for Vietnamese localization we're doing:
(...)
I must manually add all needed accent marked characters by using Photoshop. Then use PersonaEditor to map them with proper unicode.
(...)
Alan3D wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:23 pm You need a program called PersonaEditor in order to edit the .FNT files from the game, on the lastest versions you can edit them in real time in the program but you can also use older versions to just extract the glyph bitmaps with command line, I'm certain that the font does not have accents or any non english letter as they'd have no use in an official english translation. Theres already Spanish, Russian, and i belive portuguese mods on the works if its of any help. Heres the tool: https://github.com/Meloman19/PersonaEditor
I was able to edit and map the FNT at Persona Editor, but it doesn't help because the game's FNT remains unchanged. I have already extracted all the dataxxxxx.pac and sysdatxxxxx.pac files and none of them contains some FNT file.

I believe it must be in the data_e.cpk or data.cpk files, but both must be encrypted because I have already used CriPakTools and it does not recognize any files. When this it used happen at Vita you could do it decrypt it but I don't know how to do it on the PC.
Reishiki

I think you should specify it in the thread title the game you want to mod is P4G PC.
I'm also trying to find the font file for P4G PC.
ElderLink
Been liked: 1 post

Reishiki, how did you add those new characters ? Because, I'm working on a french translation for P4G, I need to add accent characters too, but I don't have a single clue on how to do it
ElderLink
Been liked: 1 post

btw, the font of the game is in init.bin, you have to use PersonaEditor to see it
Reishiki

ElderLink wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:21 am Reishiki, how did you add those new characters ? Because, I'm working on a french translation for P4G, I need to add accent characters too, but I don't have a single clue on how to do it
I used PersonaEditor to export the FNT file to bmp then edit it in Photoshop. Then deleted unused Japanese characters and added characters that I need. Then I use PersonaEditor to import the bmp and to map those new characters to proper unicode and save as FNT. Done!

ShrineFox 2020 - 2023
Support | Progress | Labs | Privacy | Terms
This site is NOT affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Atlus Co., Ltd, Atlus U.S.A., Inc. or Sega Games Co., Ltd, or any of its subsidiaries or its affiliates.