Persona 3 - AI Upscale Textures Mod (Released)

Describe your problem in as much detail as you can. Other users might help.
CaptainSwag101
Has liked: 25 posts
Been liked: 7 posts

At no point did we ever say Rexis doesn't exist, please don't jump to conclusions. Just because someone doesn't show up on Google doesn't mean they are fake and we've just been lying to you. Rexis does exist, but (from my limited understanding) the custom PCSX2 build is very buggy and unfinished at this time, and it's not ready to be released publicly.
I can be your best friend or your worst enemy. It all depends on you.
pelvisbass
Has liked: 9 posts
Been liked: 15 posts

We want you to continue because Alan is only working on hud and he is doing it by hand and while I am doing some basic texture stuff I have so many different projects going on I have no idea if I will have the time to do a good mod. That is why I offered to help you out with esrgan. Rexis is a member who joined the discord a while ago but he is keeping his build private right now as it is super buggy. If you choose to believe that or not is up to you but I don't know why anyone would ever lie about that lol.
MathRick007

If is unfinished and bugged what's the point of mentioning this PCSX2 build to me? my modding was going pretty well editing directly the .tmx files.
When the guy talked about that miraculous PCSX2 build I tought I would be a better option. So I searched Rexi on google for one hour and get nothing.
Only pelvisbass showed me that this PCSX2 build is not a good option for now, but I still wanted to use it on Silent Hill 2.

If you guys provide a folder with the textures, I can ''borrow'' my pc to do the upscales.
Only the game drawings are almost 1000 files.
Would be better a tool that transform .tmx to folder and folder to .tmx, a mass tmx builder

The way I was doing, one by one, is really boring, and I not too motivated to do this, even more with the possibility of crashes.
Just imagine, I make almost 1000 files, then the game won't even boot. :|
Last edited by MathRick007 on Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan3D
Has liked: 37 posts
Been liked: 23 posts

My point was giving you hope that it would eventually come out rather than leaving you on the dark and abandoning it, you didn't have to react like this.
MathRick007

I wasn't abandoning it. As I said since the beginning, the 1024x1024 textures works well.

When the quarentine is over, I won't be able to do modding anymore.
Is a great thing that exist people out there that have a job/school and do mods at free time, but I defenitively won't be one of those.
If I was having presential class I won't even would try to do those mods.
My situation now is ''Now I have free time, I need do it now or never''. So I rushed to try enhance my favorite games before the quarentine ends.
And unfortunetely seems I won't be able to upscale any of their textures.

I can't afford to wait for a final version of a emulator that could never exist.

Since no one has sent the extracted textures to me, there is nothing more for me to do here.
I won't be editing the files one by one to in the end the game crashes.
As I said, I can ''borrow'' my pc, you send me the textures, I upscale them, send back to you and you put it on the game.

Even if at end this be only a folder with thousand of upscaleted .png waiting for one day, the remote possibility to be loaded back into the game. I would do the upscale.
If the esrgan upscale are fast as topaz and waifu2x, I can upscale the entire game trough one night.

As I said, the game files has a size limit.
The size limit of the .bin files are almost 4x than the original.
So, there is a possibility that the game could handle HD textures.
512x512 compressed .png files could be imported back trough Amicitia. It could work. Just like the 1024x1024 bust ups did.
MathRick007

My thoughts about how to not reach the file size limit:
(not pcsx2 custom build, I talking about edit the game files itself with Amicitia)

1024x1024 .PNG = 767 KB (almost 1MB with only one texture)

Resized 512x512 .PNG = 382 KB (still way too heavy)

512x512 Compressed .PNG = 92 KB

512x512 .JPG = 54 KB

512x512 .JPG textures seems to be the best alternative. Is not great as a uncompressed .png, but still way better than the original.

Original Vs 512X512 JPG (54 KB) Upscale:

The original textures are 128x128 and 256x256, so still is a 2x or 4x upscale. And is way more clear than the original.
Doing this way, the game files will be only 2x or 3x heavier, potentially not reaching the limits.

I hope this idea can help anyone that aims to upscale this game. Good luck.
MathRick007

I have almost sure that the upscales made by you guys with this custom PCSX2 build are causing crashes due to vram limit.

Each section of the game load certain ammount of textures at vram. So in a area that contain 890 textures, there will be 890 .png with 1mb or 2mb at vram. Obviously the textures need compression. 1024x1024 textures with almost 2MB is totaly insane.

If you apply compression, making all textures have acceptable sizes like 300kb the crashes probably will be gone.

This is exactly the same thing that happends with Umod/Texmod. People din't optimize their textures, the game keep crashing, then the project is abandoned.

A folder with 10 GB (or more) of textures will crash the game.
But a folder with 900 MB of textures probably won't will crash.

Now the thing is, if this custom pcsx2 build really exists, why you guys don't want to share with me?

Is ask way too much to one of you tell Rexi that I would like to test out his pcsx2 build?

I searched about shrinefox discord before registering here, and saw that his discord is private. And if this guy is only there, how could I contact him?

Is that difficult ask him if you can share this build with me?

Why this build is not at github or pcsx2 forum? there is really talented people out there that could help Rexi improve the code and fix bugs. He apparently needs help, since the game is crashing. His code could even be merged with the official pcsx2 releases.
Seems really suspicious that he would release this build only at a private discord and not mention it at any other place.
If I get a link to this thing I will do a deep analisys to see if there is any kind of keylogger, trojan, reg edit etc.
the custom PCSX2 build is very buggy and unfinished at this time, and it's not ready to be released publicly.
Yeah, but I could test it, like Alan and pelvisbass are doing.
I will start to playing Silent Hill 3 and could use this opportunity to dump the textures with this custom pcsx2 build.

If he is not online for many weeks and can't reply me, just send me the files through pm, I won't will spread it.
He said to you guys to not share? so he did this custom build exclusively for five people at a private discord? this doesn't make any sense.

If you guys lend me this pcsx2 build I will make a AI Upscale mod to:
Silent Hill 2, 3, 4, Shattered Memories, Origins.
Metal Gear 2 and 3
Resident Evil: Outbreak 1 and 2

Now I have hardware, time and will.
But my time will run out when the quarantine is over.

So let's say that Rexi make a official release of the PCSX2 Build in october. At this point my quarantine will be finished and I won't be able to make those upscale mods.
Like I said, is now or never.
Alan3D

Here is my Discord Alan#7709, add me and i'll send you the P3 texture dump and the PCSX2 build. I would sent you a DM through here but for some reason the links appear invisible there.
MathRick007

Invisible? links works fine through PM.
Alan3D

Weird, mine are still invisible...
Already sent you a discord message anyway

ShrineFox 2020 - 2023
Support | Progress | Labs | Privacy | Terms
This site is NOT affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Atlus Co., Ltd, Atlus U.S.A., Inc. or Sega Games Co., Ltd, or any of its subsidiaries or its affiliates.