Annoying 'glitch' with GFD Studio on Windows 10.

Describe your problem in as much detail as you can. Other users might help.
Ikuzu
Has liked: 4 posts
Been liked: 1 post

Whenever I open a model in GFD Studio and rotate the camera, Windows does something weird outside of the app. It'll start moving my mouse cursor to the center of the screen in other programs when I activate, raise or otherwise click on them in the taskbar. Actually, it's the center of the other programs' respective window and not necessarily the center of the whole screen. Normally, the mouse cursor doesn't reposition itself when you activate/raise another window. But once I do anything in GFD Studio, and even after closing GFD Studio, it's like my OS gets stuck in some kind of game mode. One where it thinks everything is an FPS and the cursor has to be recalibrated. It eventually goes away on it's own but I haven't been able to figure out why this happens or how to prevent it.
ShrineFox
Site Admin
Has liked: 277 posts
Been liked: 115 posts

Dude that is super duper weird, never experienced anything quite like that-- except with games that lock the cursor, like you mentioned. I can't think of anything in the program that would trigger that kind of behavior, especially how it keeps happening after you close it.
I would suggest letting the creator know here since he'd be the most likely to know what could be causing that, but even then, this is the first I've ever heard of it so it's unlikely. It almost sounds like it's more of an OS issue or maybe even a hardware/drivers issue.

A couple things we could try in order to narrow it down would be to try this build with the model viewer disabled (that's the only thing that has any advanced graphical procedures, the rest is a pretty standard WinForms application), or maybe create a secondary partition with a fresh windows install and see if it happens there-- in which case a system restore might correct the issue.
Ikuzu

I would have posted this on the creator's GitHub but figured there'd be no point. Last post on there was January 3rd and out the 13 topics created since 2020, only 3 of them ever got replies? Ugh.

I'm not going to reinstall Windows just for this, but I can try it on another PC. That's one thing I haven't done yet. Thought someone here might have an idea of what's causing it. I just tried the 'no model viewer' version you posted, and it's not causing any issues. But being able to see the models is the whole point for me, as I use the app like an image viewer.
ShrineFox
Site Admin

Yeah, that makes sense. At least it narrows it down to the model viewer. Does it happen whenever the model is visible at all, or only after moving the camera? I know it must be doing something to keep the cursor in the window when rotating/panning but that’s all I can think of.

Last idea I have for narrowing the bug down is to try older builds to see if it still happens. Then I can compare the commits between them and see if I can downgrade something to stop the issue while still retaining model viewer functionality:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... C9JFiYzZcC
Ikuzu

Okay, here's what I did.

First, I opened several .GMDs (10) at once without interacting with the model viewer. Closed them out, no issues.
Second, I opened one model in the oldest version of GFD Studio I have, 0.4.8, interacted with the model, no issues.
Third, I opened one model in the newest version I have, 0.5.2, interacted with it, mouse starts acting up again.

Even if I right click on a Window tab in the taskbar to bring up the Restore/Minimize/Maximize menu, the mouse moves to the center of the screen. And weirdly enough, it doesn't do it to every window. So it's definitely something in version 0.5.2 causing this, and I closed that like 5 minutes ago.

EDIT: Scratch that, it does happen in older versions of GFD Studio. Tried it again in 0.4.8 and it did the thing. Don't know why it didn't earlier. But I realized that after closing GFD Studio, I can make the problem go away by restarting Windows Explorer from the Task Manager. I guess I can live with that.
ShrineFox
Site Admin

Oh wow, good to know at least even if I'm not sure if I can narrow it down myself. I imagine it still has to do with the model viewer, but it's even weirder that it happens inconsistently. Glad the explorer thing is a suitable enough workaround, here's a build of 0.6.6 with a working model viewer plus some shortcuts to refresh/restart explorer:

CTRL + R = Refresh, not a full reset so it doesn't close opened explorer windows. Not sure if it's enough to stop the glitch
CTRL + SHIFT + R = Reset, also closes all opened explorer windows and file operations and restarts the process

ShrineFox 2020 - 2023
Support | Progress | Labs | Privacy | Terms
This site is NOT affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Atlus Co., Ltd, Atlus U.S.A., Inc. or Sega Games Co., Ltd, or any of its subsidiaries or its affiliates.