[Nocturne] Turn battle music off

Discuss hypothetical mods that nobody has taken on yet. Modders can choose to consider these ideas for their own projects.
JimReaper
Has liked: 1 post

Hello, I hope this is the right board. I want to make a supercut of demon battle cries and attack animations, and it would make for a much more seamless edit if there was a way to disable the in-game BGM. (I would like to do similar for DDS1 and 2 also but Nocturne is the priority.) If anyone can help with this it would be hugely appreciated!
Sabaca
Been liked: 3 posts

Do you want BGM of all battle locations to be turned off or one in particular ?
JimReaper

Ideally all just to be on the safe side, as I require footage from various encounters. So that's all 5 regular battle themes, the 3 final boss themes, fierce battle, boss battle, reason boss, Beelzebub, Metatron, Dante and Fiend battles. I have tried looking through the game's files myself but I have no idea how to identify which .SMGs are the relevant ones (except someone has identified MIDI0080.SMG is the labyrinth of amala battle theme)
Sabaca

Here's what I have for now :

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

I've replaced some SMG files needed for certain tracks to play by bogus ones. This way the music will not start. Identifying which SMG plays where is a tedious, manual, one-by-one process.

So far, here are the tracks that I guarantee will not play during a battle :

- Normal battle
- Town battle
- Map battle

Here are the tracks that should not play during a battle, but require testing :

- Labyrinth of Amala battle
- Fierce battle
- Boss battle
- Reason battle
- Dante battle
- Kagutsuchi 2 battle
- Lucifer battle

Here are the tracks that will play during a battle, because I have no idea which files need to be replaced :

- Amala network battle
- Fiend battle
- Beelzebub battle
- Metatron battle
- Kagutsuchi 1 battle

If you just want to make a supercut, and you don't really care whether it's organic gameplay or not, I heavily recommend using the debug menu.

Code: Select all

// battle debug
patch=1,EE,0054E824,extended,00000001
By pressing R1 during a battle this will allow you to change demons in your party on the fly (first item on the list). This is permanent, selected demons persist after battle. You have the whole compendium + some bonuses until 0xCF. Everything after that are bosses. Demons summoned this way are at their lowest base level ; if you wish to show some specific skills but want to avoid the grinding use a x256 xp multiplier.

Code: Select all

// exp x256
patch=1,EE,2026A86C,extended,00041280
JimReaper

Thank you very much for your work and quick response. However, when trying to run the game I just get a black screen. I followed this process to the letter: https://shrinefox.com/guides/2020/04/10 ... 3-p4-smt3/ although I was confused about the use of the Mod Compendium which doesn't have an option for Nocturne. I just put it in the Persona3 folder since you labelled it as such in the XML, don't know if that was the right thing to do. Sorry if I've made a silly mistake here!
Sabaca

Are you sure you edited the HostFs=enabled line in PCSX2_vm.ini ?
JimReaper

Never mind, it was an issue with the iso. All resolved now, thanks again!

Also, in case this is useful to anyone else in the future, I can confirm from testing that the following tracks are definitely removed:

- Labyrinth of Amala battle
- Fierce battle
- Boss battle
- Dante battle

ShrineFox 2020 - 2023
Support | Progress | Labs | Privacy | Terms
This site is NOT affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Atlus Co., Ltd, Atlus U.S.A., Inc. or Sega Games Co., Ltd, or any of its subsidiaries or its affiliates.