Remove the aesthetic NPCs

Discuss hypothetical mods that nobody has taken on yet. Modders can choose to consider these ideas for their own projects.
Crow116
Has liked: 2 posts
Been liked: 1 post

Hello, this is my first post in here! if I do/say anything silly, please let me know!

Anyways, I wanted to request a mod for Persona 5, that completely removes the non-talkable npcs in Tokyo, While I do feel like they add to the theme and art style of the game, I feel they extremely drain the overall performance of the game, especially in RPCS3, so I would like to request a mod that removes theses NPCs entirely :D .

Tags:
ShrineFox
Site Admin
Has liked: 277 posts
Been liked: 115 posts

That sounds pretty doable, we should be able to prevent them from rendering by either deleting the meshes or materials from each model labelled "pedestrian" here: https://amicitia.miraheze.org/wiki/Pers ... /character

It's not a perfect solution since the game will still use some resources to spawn/move them, but I'd imagine it would still improve performance. To completely remove them we'd probably need to edit some value in the field PAC files for each map that spawns them in the first place.
Crow116
Has liked: 2 posts
Been liked: 1 post

That sounds good! I do imagine their models taking most of the game's ressources over their overall behaviour/animations.

Thanks for the reply :D
lssjcorey
Been liked: 2 posts

Semi-related but it always bothered me that random characters walking around in the background have no faces and made me feel a bit uncomfortable
shst
Has liked: 1 post

I tried to do as mentioned earlier (replaced all pedestrian models with some random one, which has all materials and textures removed).
Sadly, it didn't affect performance in any meaningful way. Furthermore, it introduces this peculiar effect of floating hairs and bags.
Perhaps the latter solution is the only one which would have any positive effect, but I believe it would require much more work to do. Maybe it is also possible to interject all pedestrian spawn attempts with an EBOOT patch.
ShrineFox
Site Admin
Has liked: 277 posts
Been liked: 115 posts

A better solution you can try doing is deleting the "fnpc" file in each field PAC. I haven't tried testing it yet, but apparently it will get rid of all of the faceless NPCs so they don't load at all (or their items). If it works I don't mind batch-processing all the PACs to remove it and sharing it as a mod
shst
Has liked: 1 post

Haven't seen any "fnpc" files in field PACs. However, removing npc/fXXX_XXX.CLT (in this case, for second floor of Shujin, field ID 002:002) worked. Talkable NPCs (two sportsmen, newspaper girl, yandere girl), are still intact, as well as murmurs.
Spoiler
Sadly, there is still no noticeable performance boost, at least for a tested field. However, others' mileage may vary, and it's still less distracting that way, so I will be glad if you do a batch process and release it as a mod.

ShrineFox 2020 - 2023
Support | Progress | Labs | Privacy | Terms
This site is NOT affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Atlus Co., Ltd, Atlus U.S.A., Inc. or Sega Games Co., Ltd, or any of its subsidiaries or its affiliates.