Feasibility of using P4G PC as a base for fangames?

Discuss hypothetical mods that nobody has taken on yet. Modders can choose to consider these ideas for their own projects.
soupicide
Has liked: 1 post

Hi all,
Now that Persona 4 Golden is out on PC, I've been super pumped about the game finally being accessible to my friends without a Vita, and also about how the modding scene will (likely) grow explosively. While telling one friend about which mods already exist (thanks to you wonderful people here), she asked whether it was now possible to actually use the PC port and hack it to make fangames, à la Pokemon ROM hacks, or something like that. This idea really excites me, but I sadly have next to no knowledge of modding, or programming at all for that matter. It's all just magic to me. I know that model swaps exist, that custom moves have been added (shoutout to the guy who added the Kouha and Eiha lines to P4G), and I think I remember seeing a tool to make custom cutscenes in Persona 3 (FES? Portable?), but there's obviously a ton more to making a fangame than just that. So, all you people who are way smarter than me and actually know how this stuff works, is it possible in theory? Or is it just too farfetched?
If can't push it, pull it. If you can't pull it, Megidolaon.
ShrineFox
Site Admin
Has liked: 277 posts
Been liked: 115 posts

Definitely not impossible, I would say the main roadblocks right now are the lack of tools for events and field object/hitmarkers. In both cases, the formats are relatively complex so it would take somebody with some reverse engineering skill (and lots of time, trial and error and patience) to be able to work with those.
Other than that though, custom models/music/voices/fields/textures/names/scripts/battles are all possible, so that covers a majority of what else you'd need
lssjcorey
Been liked: 2 posts

I have seen someone already trying to restore some cut events like Yosuke's original max social link so it might be possible eventually with the amount of attention the mod community has been getting the influx of members could help figure out the stuff we haven't figured out yet

ShrineFox 2020 - 2023
Support | Progress | Labs | Privacy | Terms
This site is NOT affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Atlus Co., Ltd, Atlus U.S.A., Inc. or Sega Games Co., Ltd, or any of its subsidiaries or its affiliates.