[PC] Persona 4 Golden: Slightly Enhanced FMV Mod

Share, discover, or contribute to mods for Persona 4 Golden for the PSVita and PC.
pelvisbass
Has liked: 9 posts
Been liked: 15 posts

Description
The goal of this mod is to make the FMV videos look slightly better however there is only so much that can be done in its current state. For some reason I will never understand atlus decided to encode the FMVs in game with the WMV2 Codec rather than the much more modern AVC codec used for the psvita version of the game. This results in some really bad compression and blocking which in some cases can be distracting. So I decided to use vapoursynth to try my best to fix it up. The results are not perfect as there is a small amount of detail loss and blockiness however in my opinion the results are much better than the originals. If you are interested in it I left the script I used for vapoursynth as well as my ffmpeg settings in the readme.

Preview

Download

No lyrics version of the opening here

Instructions
Installing mod is as simple as a quick file replacement.
  1. Download the mod from the link above
  2. Extract the contents of the .7z file somewhere convenient
  3. Go to steam and right click Persona 4 Golden
  4. Click Manage then Browse Local Files
  5. Drag and drop all of the files from the extracted 7z into the the games folder
  6. You are now good to play. If the opening song now has lyrics you installed it correctly.
Arthandas
Has liked: 5 posts

If the Vita's version are better, why not just port them over?
DniweTamp
Has liked: 42 posts
Been liked: 90 posts

because the game can only read videos encoded in a specific way; they would look crunchy anyway
Fewtch
Has liked: 3 posts
Been liked: 1 post

Would the game react poorly to resized videos? For example, those upscaled by Video AI?
T-Pose Ratkechi
Has liked: 19 posts
Been liked: 6 posts

Fewtch wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:07 am Would the game react poorly to resized videos? For example, those upscaled by Video AI?
Seems likely? I remember a lot of posts saying that game has stability issues just playing the current videos: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1113000/ ... 669109244/
rudiger__sf
Has liked: 14 posts
Been liked: 31 posts

It it confirmed whether Atlus really did just take the Vita files, upscale them (poorly) to 1080p and call it a day? Because that's what it looks like...

Can anybody point me to a dump of the Vita files please?
pelvisbass has done a great job, but I'd love to have a go at AI-upscaling and encoding these myself too.
DniweTamp
Has liked: 42 posts
Been liked: 90 posts

We have dumps of all games here
rudiger__sf

DniweTamp wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:26 am We have dumps of all games here
FMVs from the Vita version aren't contained within data.cpk.
They're in their own folder called "movie" (https://amicitia.miraheze.org/wiki/Persona_4_Golden) which doesn't appear to be available on this site.

I managed to get my own dump with the mp4's but I can't play them back so can't work with them yet on desktop.
If anybody knows what I need to do to be able to play them back in VLC etc, please let me know. I've also opened a new thread here:
https://shrinefox.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=429

Edit: I've got the videos working now. They needed to be decrypted.
rudiger__sf

Finished my first attempt at creating some good quality source files for working with;
- Dumped Vita .mp4, 960x544 (best quality source file imo)
- Upscaled with waifu2x/video2x to a much cleaner 1920x1080
- Transcoded to 60fps with SVP (h.265 MKV)
- "Never More" replaced with my own lossless WAV (CD, uncompressed, 16 bit, 1,411 kbps) for both EN and JP audio tracks
(For this test I used the "Reincarnation" version because I think that arrangement serves as a more touching farewell track than the original.)

Preview (Spoilers. This is the end scene and credits.):
Spoiler
.MKV Download: https://mega.nz/file/T6pnDRxB#a5JpIu_0X ... Snsj0lI9ns

I'd recommend downloading the MKV and watching the source file instead of the YouTube preview. YouTube's compression reduces the video quality significantly.

I'm sure the game won't accept anything close to this :lol:, but I figured it's best if we start with the highest quality source files possible and work from there. I don't have a lot of time at the moment, but for anyone who does, please feel free to download and experiment with this or reach out to me via PM if you want some help testing. I'll try encoding these to a proper .usm/.wmv myself when I can.

Depending on feedback, perhaps I can update this post with other videos as I get round to them.
Fewtch
Has liked: 3 posts
Been liked: 1 post

rudiger__sf wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:52 am Finished my first attempt at creating some good quality source files for working with;
- Dumped Vita .mp4, 960x544 (best quality source file imo)
- Upscaled with waifu2x/video2x to a much cleaner 1920x1080
- Transcoded to 60fps with SVP (h.265 MKV)
- "Never More" replaced with my own lossless WAV (CD, uncompressed, 16 bit, 1,411 kbps) for both EN and JP audio tracks
(For this test I used the "Reincarnation" version because I think that arrangement serves as a more touching farewell track than the original.)

I'm sure the game won't accept anything close to this :lol:, but I figured it's best if we start with the highest quality source files possible and work from there
@pelvisbass
Actually, has anybody actually tested any higher resolution video replacements?

ShrineFox 2020 - 2023
Support | Progress | Labs | Privacy | Terms
This site is NOT affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Atlus Co., Ltd, Atlus U.S.A., Inc. or Sega Games Co., Ltd, or any of its subsidiaries or its affiliates.