[PS3] P5 Costume Dialogue Mod

Share, discover, or contribute to mods for Persona 5 for PS3 and PS4.
chlorophylls
Has liked: 9 posts
Been liked: 28 posts

You may have seen some videos of the unused costume dialogue from P5R floating around on the internet, which would have worked similarly to P3 and P4's costume dialogue. With some FlowScript tinkering, I managed to restore the costume dialogue functionality for vanilla P5.

This mod is supposed to be used with the Mod Compendium. It restores the unused costume dialogue found in P5R, which has been translated from the originally-Japanese text to English, thanks to the efforts of various fan translators and editors.

The unused script originally also had no portraits except for the neutral one; these have been edited with portraits to better fit the dialogue. Keep in mind that this is a fan translation of unused dialogue.

Note that the only dialogue that has been fully translated, edited, and coded into this mod so far is for all party members except Akechi and Futaba, due to the differing speeds at which different translators and editors work. This mod is a beta/work in progress, and will be updated for the other characters when possible. As of version 1.0, all costumes accessible in vanilla have their dialogue translated for all main party members.

>> GOOGLE DRIVE DOWNLOAD LINK <<

To use it, with an outfit equipped (on Joker and/or any of the party members), talk to any one of your party members at the dungeon entrance (not safe rooms) and select "How's the clothes?" (this option only pops up if Joker or the party member has a non-default costume equipped).

Party members have dialogue for what Joker is wearing, as well as dialogue for what they themselves are wearing.

This mod only works for the costumes available in vanilla at the moment. (Royal costume backporting is in progress, however, as seen by Saitsu's mod here proving that it's possible.)

VIDEOS

Rest of example videos

SCREENSHOTS
EXAMPLE SCREENSHOTS
TRANSLATION NOTES
TRANSLATION NOTES
Yusuke:
  • P4 DLC costume - ハイカラ = An old-fashioned/"hick"/country way of saying "fashionable", especially when someone from Tokyo uses it, hence why "groovy" was the phrasing decided on. A reference to Yu from the Persona 4 anime, who would consistently use that phrase to describe his garish pink swimming trunks.
Haru:
  • Raidou DLC costume - Raidou's favorite food is candied sweet potatoes with lots of honey (source: the Raidou manga), which is why she thinks of it when looking at Joker. Candied sweet potatoes were also a popular snack among university students in Tokyo in the Taisho era, the time period in which the Raidou games take place.
Makoto:
  • Catherine DLC costume - An exact reference to one of Katherine's lines in the beginning of Catherine.
  • P1 DLC costume - This dialogue is completely off for Makoto's character in these lines, and looking at the original Japanese text, the speech didn't match Yuka or Eriko's, so it was decided that it was most likely Yukino she's mirroring.
Ryuji:
  • P1 DLC costume - 原点 also translates as "point of origin", aka the starting point of the Persona games. Basically a meta joke that's hard to carry over in English.
Futaba:
  • P5 Dancing DLC costume: "Time for revolution" appears to be a bit of a meme among Japanese fans of Naruto, based on that dramatic panel of him in Chapter 692, where Sasuke declares his intention for a revolution. (Not entirely sure about this but it's the closest we could find.)
  • P4U2 Shadow Ops costume: Smash Bros. reference.
  • Joker's P4 DLC costume: She's referring to an event in Dragon Quest X, because of course she is. Gakurans and the like were a one-time event costume in March 2019. (Source: https://hiroba.dqx.jp/sc/topics/detail/ ... b699bc6a7/)
  • Joker's Raidou costume: Not 100% on this one, but she refers to him as "ハイカラさん" in Japanese, which we took as another animanga reference. "ハイカラさん" seems to be the common nickname for a 1970's shojo manga (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haikara-S ... iss_Modern). The manga's localized title is "Haikara-san: Here Comes Miss Modern", but "Haikara-san" typically refers to the protagonist of the manga, the young woman Benio, which doesn't fit Joker's actual outfit (who dresses more like Shinobu in the actual manga). So...this is how we wrangled this one. Took the "Here comes" from the localized title of the (presumed) manga reference + "fashionably retro" as the actual meaning of "haikara".
OTHER NOTES FOR FUTABA:
  • Although Futaba's Loungewear costume is able to be equipped ingame, she doesn't have any dialogue for it in the datamined text file. Instead, it's simply a placeholder: "部屋着・双葉" = "Futaba loungewear"
Akechi: OTHER NOTES FOR AKECHI:
  • Akechi has dialogue for summer casual and swimsuit costumes, but...they're never used, because he doesn't have summer casual (it's technically the exact same as his winter casual, the blue argyle sweater) and swimsuit costumes. No, I don't understand why either.
CREDITS
  • Pan, for datamining the original unused costume dialogue file
  • @wafumayo, for translating Haru, Yusuke, and Makoto's dialogue
  • @ballpointdeath for translating Ann, Ryuji, and Morgana's dialogue
  • Anonymous for translating Akechi and Futaba's dialogue
  • TGE, for developing the Atlus Script Compiler and Amicitia; this wouldn't even exist otherwise
RELEASES
  • 8/25/20 - Initial beta released; dialogue for Haru, Yusuke, and Makoto's vanilla costumes have been translated and edited
  • 9/6/20 - Updated with dialogue for Ann, Ryuji, and Morgana. Fixed the flowscript with hooking functions, so ultra-thin character model errors shouldn't be as much of a problem anymore.
  • 11/24/20 - Updated with dialogue for Futaba and Akechi. Now all main party members in P5 vanilla have their costume dialogue translated, for vanilla-only costumes.
If you run into any bugs or have feedback to provide, let me know by posting in this thread.
Last edited by chlorophylls on Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
ShrineFox
Site Admin
Has liked: 277 posts
Been liked: 115 posts

This is really cool! Awesome works you guys. I wonder if it would be possible to eventually get it working in safe rooms? Similarly, it'd be cool to have the option between talk to party members/auto-heal when you press the square button, kinda like in P4. I would be happy to look into either scenario
chlorophylls

ShrineFox wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:07 am This is really cool! Awesome works you guys. I wonder if it would be possible to eventually get it working in safe rooms? Similarly, it'd be cool to have the option between talk to party members/auto-heal when you press the square button, kinda like in P4. I would be happy to look into either scenario
I was actually thinking of trying to implement the functionality in safe rooms at first (since that seemed like the most logical place where those sorts of conversations between characters would show up), but vanilla P5 doesn't have the "talk to party members individually in safe rooms" function, so I decided on putting it at the dungeon entrances instead. I haven't looked into it too deeply, admittedly. You might know more about making NPCs/party members in safe rooms interact-able like how they are in P5R.
chlorophylls

Update:

Updated with dialogue for Ann, Ryuji, and Morgana. Fixed the flowscript with hooking functions, so ultra-thin character model errors shouldn't be as much of a problem anymore. If there are any, let me know. Download link in the OP has been updated; check to make sure you're on version 0.7.

Next up is Akechi and Futaba's dialogue.
chlorophylls

Been a while. Update: Akechi and Futaba's dialogue have been finished, translations by Anonymous:

Akechi:
Futaba:

The drive link in the OP should be updated:

Check to make sure you're on version 1.0.

As for the Royal costume dialogue, I'm waiting on someone to do a proper P5R costume backport mod so that the costume slots can be used with the proper, separate equip IDs. For now though, all the costumes in vanilla have been translated.

Upon request, I've also uploaded the source for the costume dialogue mod, so that people can reuse the code in their own mods and the like (with credit, I should hope):

The p5_dresstalk.msg file is where all the dialogue is; all the dresstalkhook.flow files draw from it when compiling. To "make your own", just compile the dresstalkhook.flow file via AtlusScriptCompiler and have hooking enabled (to avoid the previously mentioned errors). Then replace the .bf in the fnpc .pacs, and put the fnpc .pacs in the proper places.
ShrineFox
Site Admin
Has liked: 277 posts
Been liked: 115 posts

I love how you made it super simple for others to customize for their own costume imports, amazing! Great work and thanks again for sharing
prdsbrave

How to start a translation? I would like to start in Portuguese because there is a very active community that will help me. Thanks!

ShrineFox 2020 - 2023
Support | Progress | Labs | Privacy | Terms
This site is NOT affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Atlus Co., Ltd, Atlus U.S.A., Inc. or Sega Games Co., Ltd, or any of its subsidiaries or its affiliates.