P5 Modding: Event Editing Guide(s)

Share, discover, or contribute to mods for Persona 5 for PS3 and PS4.
chlorophylls
Has liked: 9 posts
Been liked: 28 posts

I don't know if this is the right section for it, but I've been sitting on this guide for a while now, and figured that I shouldn't just sit on it and let it go to waste, though it's not really formatted for a wiki article or anything at the moment. It's also not really a tool, so I figured this was the best place to post it.

Here is a guide that I wrote up for editing BMD files in Persona 5: https://docs.google.com/document/d/11Qy ... sp=sharing

Feedback, corrections, and any additional details/info you might have would also be appreciated :)

I plan on writing up more about events (like the EVT, the ECS, how to replace models in cutscenes, how to animate models in cutscenes, etc.) but events are still mostly unknown/undocumented so it'll be a while :? But I hope this helps out people who might be interested in editing or creating custom events or even just want to edit dialogue.
zettonaender
Has liked: 5 posts
Been liked: 12 posts

Hey man, really nice for you to document this. Small correction, when compiling msg to bmd the -OutFormat V3BE should be -OutFormat V1BE or it will output invalid MessageScript Format.

By the way, a few weeks ago I tried to edit the message by changing the BMDs. When I loaded them apparently it doesn't change anything in the dialogue. When I decompiled the mod cpk, the files are as edited so I think it was supposedly loaded. I want to know, have you been able to successfully edit the dialogue messages?
Beta morgana is nightmare fuel lol
chlorophylls

zettonaender wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:10 pm Hey man, really nice for you to document this. Small correction, when compiling msg to bmd the -OutFormat V3BE should be -OutFormat V1BE or it will output invalid MessageScript Format.

By the way, a few weeks ago I tried to edit the message by changing the BMDs. When I loaded them apparently it doesn't change anything in the dialogue. When I decompiled the mod cpk, the files are as edited so I think it was supposedly loaded. I want to know, have you been able to successfully edit the dialogue messages?
I corrected the guide, thanks! :) I copypasted from the Wiki and the command was for BF (I didn't notice since I use the GUI most of the time) :oops:

Yes, I have, the snippets in the Text Colors section are from events, so I edited the BMD for those and just recompiled. Maybe you have conflicting mods or something affecting the same file?
zettonaender
Has liked: 5 posts
Been liked: 12 posts

chlorophylls wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:26 pm
zettonaender wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:10 pm Hey man, really nice for you to document this. Small correction, when compiling msg to bmd the -OutFormat V3BE should be -OutFormat V1BE or it will output invalid MessageScript Format.

I corrected the guide, thanks! :) I copypasted from the Wiki and the command was for BF (I didn't notice since I use the GUI most of the time) :oops:

Yes, I have, the snippets in the Text Colors section are from events, so I edited the BMD for those and just recompiled. Maybe you have conflicting mods or something affecting the same file?
Alright so I found my issue.
Somehow the files in the event.PAK files (notably .bmd and .bf) are stored in duplicate, one which the game actually uses has a ../../ in front of them. I actually used pakpack unpack and replace function which only extracts and compile the bmds without the ../../ in front so the edits didn't actually load. Also before this I checked with the EVTEditor and it also only check the files without the ../../ in front which means my edits are displayed there without the game actually using these files being displayed by EVTEditor.

I hope this can help people who may face the same issue as I did in the future. Thanks.

Edit: Using Amicitia or other similar tools and replacing the correct files manually will work as intended.
Beta morgana is nightmare fuel lol
chlorophylls

Hey guys, been a while. I haven't been able to just sit down and do some event editing research, but I did figure out how to add hangout events for characters, so I'm putting it here because it's technically event-related...mostly.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KZG ... sp=sharing

Let me know if there are any parts that need correcting, anything that isn't clear, etc.

ShrineFox 2020 - 2023
Support | Progress | Labs | Privacy | Terms
This site is NOT affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Atlus Co., Ltd, Atlus U.S.A., Inc. or Sega Games Co., Ltd, or any of its subsidiaries or its affiliates.