[PS3] (1.3 Update) 4K Upscaled Persona 5 Royal Bustups Mod

Share, discover, or contribute to mods for Persona 5 for PS3 and PS4.
zettonaender
Has liked: 5 posts
Been liked: 12 posts

Alright so I'm sorry I haven't been able to work on this mod lately, life kinda got me rn. I guess you can upload the ones that you've done here and I'll put it on the first post with proper credits as an update periodically.

Cheers.
Beta morgana is nightmare fuel lol
LagBeam
Been liked: 1 post

I'm not sure if we should proceed like this - sure for the most part images are supposed to be drop-in replacements, on the other hand i've found 5 inconsistent images that need patching/redrawing leading to updates to bustup_param.dat.
I've already patched out those, hope I will not find anymore (although I do want to patch Igor portrait because of how it is made for PS3 P5R backport).
DniweTamp
Has liked: 42 posts
Been liked: 90 posts

for overly bright portraits, just open them in any photo editor, duplicate the image layer, make the one on the top have "multiply" blend mode
LagBeam

Tried this method based on your suggestion - kinda don't like the result, there are portraits of Ryuji (and I think i've converted all of them by yesterday) during visit to "Destiny Land" or how was that called, in multiply mode his jacket gets to be pitch-black, but If you adjust color levels (gamma to 0,45 or something very close to that) - jacket is still black, but there are details visible.
Also that gamma mode lines up with P5R backport in terms of color performance and is basically a result of incorrect gamma conversion during texture conversion (normal gamma is 2.2, during conversion it reads it as 1.0, so to reverse that we literally need to change gamma levels to 10/22 of the converted image, or 0,45(45)). So i think i'm gonna stick with that.

UPDATE: So far I've completed roughly 168 portraits (Ryuji, Morgana, Wardens, Igor, Pupil (forgot name of Madarame's Pupil), Teachers). Next on my list are Sae Niijima, Sojiro, Kobayakawa, Kawakami and Kamoshida (cause you encounter them sorta in that way when you start a new game).
Can upload current results for nitpicking and critique or even as part of update to current mod. (kinda not keen on that, but hey if anybody wants - sure, no problem)
zettonaender
Been liked: 12 posts

Looks like a problem with your installation of the 4K UI mod, not the 4K Royal Bustup mod since I did not change those files in the image you posted. You can try to merge the 4K mod with mine again since I think some files are missing in the mod.cpk you installed.

Cheers
Beta morgana is nightmare fuel lol
shst
Has liked: 1 post
Been liked: 2 posts

I've tried this mod, and can confirm that bustups are on the lower side of quality compared to 4K UI Upscale. It is especially noticeable on sprites with smaller details, like Futaba's headphones. Compare:
4K UI Upscale: looks almost like it has never been downscaled, headphone buttons are sharp and smooth
Upscaled Royal Bustups: noticeably lower quality, buttons are a blurry mess
Judging by posts in this thread, someone already was trying the same approach as 4K UI Upscale authors, upscaling with better software and neural models, however, it seems like the project is stale, since no new posts about that were made from August. If these attempts are not stopped, please say so. Otherwise, I might even try to poke around myself, if I would have some spare time.
shst

Tried out ESRGAN on the exact bustup mentioned in a previous post (b008_002_04), ripped from Chinese P5R files linked here on Amicitia.
Models used are: xBC1_take2_260850, 1x_BC1-smooth2, 4x_Fatality_MKII_90000_G and 1x_Fatality_DeBlur_270000_G, in this particular order.

Original bustup: https://files.catbox.moe/umtj7g.png, transparent backgruond is sadly gone due to using GFDStudio for conversion to PNG instead of more suitable tool.
Uspcaled: https://files.catbox.moe/declva.png.

Unlike the upscaled vanilla sprite, some blur can still be seen on headphones, but it's not critical, and might even not be that noticeable after downscaling. Other than that, the results are wonderful.
The ugly part is, on my relatively low-end hardware it took 2 hours and 46 minutes to process this image alone, and no option to increase the processing speed, like CUDA or ROCM, is available to me right now. Still, I might experiment a little bit more, perhaps even try to process images in cloud instead of bullying my CPU.
shst

Converted all the Royal bustups to PNG with Noesis, about 1/3 of all images has wrong gamma for seemingly no reason. I've uploaded full list of them on Pastebin, and they all can be fixed with Imagemagick command similar to this one:

Code: Select all

convert b002_006_01.png -define png:include-chunk=none -gamma 0.4545 b002_006_01_fixed.png
LagBeam

shst wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:00 pm Converted all the Royal bustups to PNG with Noesis, about 1/3 of all images has wrong gamma for seemingly no reason. I've uploaded full list of them on Pastebin, and they all can be fixed with Imagemagick command similar to this one:

Code: Select all

convert b002_006_01.png -define png:include-chunk=none -gamma 0.4545 b002_006_01_fixed.png
Yup, that's a solution for wrong gamma (0.4545 is literally 1.0/2.2 - gamma point for some reason is read/set incorrectly).
I've done (manually which sucks) a decent chunk of bustups with different upscaling technique as per my posts above. But IRL stuff and no automation of the whole process kinda kills me. Haven't been able to even take a look at what's left in several months now.
P.S. This mod keeps clawing its way back into my skull, so I might end up finishing it around Christmas/New Year's - or will happily assist on your version.
P.P.S. Unlike CPU (2 posts above) I've used GPU (Radeon 5700XT) so I can actually assist on upscaling (won't take 2+ hours to do a single set of bustup) - it's the recreation of bustup chunks that kills me.

ShrineFox 2020 - 2023
Support | Progress | Labs | Privacy | Terms
This site is NOT affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Atlus Co., Ltd, Atlus U.S.A., Inc. or Sega Games Co., Ltd, or any of its subsidiaries or its affiliates.