[PS3] (1.3 Update) 4K Upscaled Persona 5 Royal Bustups Mod

Share, discover, or contribute to mods for Persona 5 for PS3 and PS4.
zettonaender
Has liked: 5 posts
Been liked: 12 posts

Mizunuma wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:16 am
zettonaender wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:48 am
Mizunuma wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:39 am
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... /patch.yml
yeah, my folder looks exactly like that, i also replaced the font with yours
the size of the folder is 10.5gb and the size of the mod.cpk is 3.97gb
Everything checks out except the mod.cpk size which is too small for the 4k UI mod (>8gb when I compiled it). Can you screenshot your mod compendium settings?
nevermind, i realized the one i had was outdated, so i spent the last 6 hours(imagine how many reapers i could've killed) trying to find the issue and realized that i downloaded from an old abandoned post somewhere, i used the 1.4.0 and it works perfectly. Thank you very much for the assistance, i cant believe my dumbass looked at that 4gb mod.cpk file and thought nothing was wrong with it
Haha it's okay. Glad it's working fine.
Beta morgana is nightmare fuel lol
LagBeam
Been liked: 1 post

ZettoNaender, thank you for finalizing my idea of porting P5R portraits and merging them with Rexis's 4K mod (after i've seen Chlorophylls mod and still currently use it).

However, I have number of issues or, rather, questions regarding your work.
  1. Starting with the harsh stuff - why your portraits are kinda on lower-quality side, especially during animations? I know it's easy to talk, but Rexis's 4K mod and his portraits are very detailed and consistent in quality during animations.
  2. What source images have you used? Ones from P5R backport mod posted here or you worked with PS4 images (in .GNF format)?
  3. Have you made any scripts to speed up your process? I'm asking it here because in P5R backport thread I have not received any additional info besides the sole fact.
  4. What implementation of Waifu2x have you used? I've just today stumbled on Waifu2x-Extension-GUI that provided some interesting results you may consider.
Now - why am I trying to brew some BS here - as I mentioned in P5R Bustup Backport viewtopic.php?f=15&t=176&start=20#p2047 I am dabbling with idea of pulling PS4 bustups, converting them to editable form, upscaling and combining back to be used alongside Rexis's 4K mod. And, unfortunately I've hit some roadblocks.

These roadblocks are:
  • I'm not good with scripting (just not a programmer myself, but can certainly try)
  • I've managed to unpack .GNF portraits from PS4 version, but my tools sometimes (often) fail to fully export images, forcing me to drop image or try rebuilding it by hand.
  • Up until now I had issues with artifacts using Waifu2x implementations but now I have some selection of "forks" to that project.
  • I've recently fallen ill which even further slowed me down with any possible progress
I have a suggestion, or at least just an attempt to possibly strike some cooperation from you, or maybe get some information from Rexis or Chlorophylls:
How about joining forces to improve on this mod project? Since I'm the one complaining about stuff - I'm ready to receive the full bulk of the job, but I'm half stuck not having optimal tools for it - Scarlet-converter cuts out pieces of image in GNF->PNG conversion, etc.

To provide visual representation of "quality" issue I've spoken before - some links:
https://imgsli.com/MjA3NjM - Morgana Angry (where I noticed issues with animations and quality)
https://imgsli.com/MjA3NjQ - Ryuji Neutral
https://imgsli.com/MjA3NjU - Ryuji Smiling
To create my versions I've rebuilt full portraits with animated pieces - used RealSR-ncnn-vulkan Waifu2x implementation (from Waifu2x-Extension-GUI project from GitHub) - and, finally, using data from P5R Bustup Backport, made by Chlorophylls and Rexis, re-created and aligned my frames and animation pieces to bustup_param.dat from the same mod.

I've also tried to half-ass two videos with your mod active and with my work applied instead.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/zaa8feqd8s8dlpp/file and http://www.mediafire.com/file/yv60p5t5gmt6lxw/file respectively.
I know those videos have some serious issues with size,length and consistency but it's better than nothing, I guess.
zettonaender

LagBeam wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:45 am ZettoNaender, thank you for finalizing my idea of porting P5R portraits and merging them with Rexis's 4K mod (after i've seen Chlorophylls mod and still currently use it).

However, I have number of issues or, rather, questions regarding your work.
  1. Starting with the harsh stuff - why your portraits are kinda on lower-quality side, especially during animations? I know it's easy to talk, but Rexis's 4K mod and his portraits are very detailed and consistent in quality during animations.
  2. What source images have you used? Ones from P5R backport mod posted here or you worked with PS4 images (in .GNF format)?
  3. Have you made any scripts to speed up your process? I'm asking it here because in P5R backport thread I have not received any additional info besides the sole fact.
  4. What implementation of Waifu2x have you used? I've just today stumbled on Waifu2x-Extension-GUI that provided some interesting results you may consider.
Now - why am I trying to brew some BS here - as I mentioned in P5R Bustup Backport viewtopic.php?f=15&t=176&start=20#p2047 I am dabbling with idea of pulling PS4 bustups, converting them to editable form, upscaling and combining back to be used alongside Rexis's 4K mod. And, unfortunately I've hit some roadblocks.

These roadblocks are:
  • I'm not good with scripting (just not a programmer myself, but can certainly try)
  • I've managed to unpack .GNF portraits from PS4 version, but my tools sometimes (often) fail to fully export images, forcing me to drop image or try rebuilding it by hand.
  • Up until now I had issues with artifacts using Waifu2x implementations but now I have some selection of "forks" to that project.
  • I've recently fallen ill which even further slowed me down with any possible progress
I have a suggestion, or at least just an attempt to possibly strike some cooperation from you, or maybe get some information from Rexis or Chlorophylls:
How about joining forces to improve on this mod project? Since I'm the one complaining about stuff - I'm ready to receive the full bulk of the job, but I'm half stuck not having optimal tools for it - Scarlet-converter cuts out pieces of image in GNF->PNG conversion, etc.

To provide visual representation of "quality" issue I've spoken before - some links:
https://imgsli.com/MjA3NjM - Morgana Angry (where I noticed issues with animations and quality)
https://imgsli.com/MjA3NjQ - Ryuji Neutral
https://imgsli.com/MjA3NjU - Ryuji Smiling
To create my versions I've rebuilt full portraits with animated pieces - used RealSR-ncnn-vulkan Waifu2x implementation (from Waifu2x-Extension-GUI project from GitHub) - and, finally, using data from P5R Bustup Backport, made by Chlorophylls and Rexis, re-created and aligned my frames and animation pieces to bustup_param.dat from the same mod.

I've also tried to half-ass two videos with your mod active and with my work applied instead.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/zaa8feqd8s8dlpp/file and http://www.mediafire.com/file/yv60p5t5gmt6lxw/file respectively.
I know those videos have some serious issues with size,length and consistency but it's better than nothing, I guess.
This is a really awesome detailed post you made, LagBeam! I'm all in for improving my work quality.

So back to topic, here are some info of what I did:
- I used the Portrait Backport mod from Chlorophylls's post as image source, containing the .bin files which, when unpacked contains the .dds files with 512px resolution (I believe this resolution is used for the original P5 PS3 portraits)
- For every .dds file, upscale it 2x to png, then upscale it again 2x to png, finally used imagemagick to resize to 75% and outputs a dds file.

I used waifu2x-ncnn-vulkan-20200606 for the upscale with the parameters -n 3 -s 2 for the upscale. I'm aware that the implementation has been updated since I used it, but according to the changelog it shouldn't have a different output with the older version (correct me if I'm wrong though).

After analyzing your post, I believe I've found a few things that may be the cause of the lower quality of my mod:
- You used PS4 Royal's as image source, can you try upscaling from the one posted by Chlorophylls? Does it produce a lower quality than the one you did? I would like a follow-up on this, considering I currently don't have the time to learn how to correctly convert the GNF from the PS4 files.
- The waifu2x ncnn-vulkan implementation apparently performs faster than caffe at the cost of a minor reduction in image quality. In your post you used RealSR instead of waifu2x for the upscale, right? I thought waifu2x is more appropriate for Persona 5's anime aesthetic than RealSR which should be the cause of the difference in output.
- Also I actually never touched the bustup parameter file since I thought it wouldn't need any adjusting since I analyzed the .bin from the 4K UI bustups and the original vanilla file which, for the bustups have the same structure just with different dds resolutions.

Again, thanks for the reply and I wish for a follow-up or a correction of my reasoning from you.
LagBeam

Thanks for replying to a lengthy post and not immediately jumping the wagon "You dare attacking me with your hastily made 3 portraits and crappily compressed video?!". (and indeed, time to make 3 portraits was way less than making imgsli and video materials, lol)

To the crux of it:
  1. About bustup resolution - indeed they are 512x for PS3, 768x for PS4 to be drawn at 1:1 pixel ratio (without additional scaling/filtering) (you can check Rexis 4K mod, "info" folder gives some insight on that)
  2. Chlorophylls and Rexis definitely used PS4 portrait files (you probably seen my questions in P5R Bustup Backport mod thread) and downscaled them to match PS3 rendering mode, so even without trying - one would get less detailed images than ones I presented. (I can try several approaches, wait around an hour until I edit this post and add comparisons (DDS vs DDS)
  3. Tools I used to make portraits presented in previous post: About scaling - using that GUI I've decided to go with RealSR instead of waifu2x-ncnn-vulkan implementation because I was kinda blown away at the additional details it produced. I agree that this particular scaler is less in-line with P5 aesthetic and I'm not defending that choice. Waifu2x-ncnn-vulkan is also available in that GUI and produces better results than original project, in fact (I believe we're talking about that https://github.com/nihui/waifu2x-ncnn-vulkan).
    I tried working around with caffe but got lost, and it does indeed run way slower than ncnn-vulkan project (when I tried it as part of GUI project)
About Scarlet - this is the biggest downfall for me right now - during conversion some images actually lose corners (will showcase later), and sometimes lost corners are crucial to animation and have to be restored/redrawn by hand. I think (was a bit lazy/afraid to try) Noesis or PS4 SDK or even Nvidia's own Texture Tools Exporter can work with PS4 P5R GNFs but I didn't try them yet.

Now, based on your response, I think, I can nitpick a bit more:
  • It seems that you just scaled DDS (after converting to PNG, ofc) images without building fully animated portraits - this leads for strange artifacts (check Futaba non-metaverse portraits and look at glasses, should be able to see issues with those);
  • For Mod Compendium you used same UUID as P5R Bustup Backport mod, leading to misbehavior for the app - changing even a single number fixes that;
  • Again Mod Compendium You kinda forgot to credit Chlorophylls in decsription - he's at least responsible for bustup_param.dat that you evidently left untouched
Just nitpicks, hope you're not too upset about them.

Edited - archive with all the images (including steps) - http://www.mediafire.com/file/6mz194qe6kjn0q3/file
IMGSLI examples:
https://imgsli.com/MjA4MzI - combined example
  • Note: "same steps" are 2x upscale (Waifu2x-ncnn-vulkan) 2 times, then downscale to 0.75% using "LoHalo" in GIMP, DDS conversion done in GIMP to DXT5, final PNGs are derived from final step (not before to match gameplay view).
    I've tried RealSR and caffe on backports to a sad result - these models really mangle visuals, but on PS4 images RealSR provided great results in terms of detail (still not defending, just wanted to try out).
    And yes, "cured" (or in archive "_bad") images - I had to fumble around to fix piece of Futaba's chin and eye by hand (not an artist, just tried couple things until looked okay-ish).
Last edited by LagBeam on Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
zettonaender

Alright, I got your point. I want to try to help with your method.

Before that can you upload a sample of a GNF file that lost corners when converted with scarlet? I may want to take a look at scarlet's source code to find the cause of this issue myself.

And for the Mod Compendium files, you got it right that I forgot to change the UUID when I last time uploaded it. This change along with the description will be updated after the new upscales are done.

Cheers.

Small edit:
So the waifu2x Extension GUI's ncnn-vulkan has better results than the one from github? I believe it's because the one from github has cunet model used by default (the one I used since I didn't specify model, mistake on my part) instead of upconv_7. Upconv_7 has better result than cunet I think, so by using the one from github and specifying -m models-upconv_7_anime_style_art_rgb it should result in the same exact upscale result.
LagBeam

Well, ncnn-vulkan (at least with default model, cunet) has different results depending on what GPU was used (Nvidia/AMD/Intel, have not tried Intel), failed GNF converts (with assembled but NOT cured animation) are here - https://imgsli.com/MjA4Mjk.
Added archive with more examples in game's native form (from .BIN that I took here https://amicitia.github.io/files to GNF files to converted PNGs)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/g35vf6dz8j9sua9/file - said archive
for some reason i'm starting to think that BIN packages were tampered with - Scarlet did convert some packs without any issues, hmm...

Dumb suggestion - can we move to some sort of IM? I'm still slow, especially with emergency calls from other people on unrelated stuff.
Updated previous post with more images.
UPDATE - apparently "Rich Whitehouse" is not as bad as it sounds and Noesis is the tool to use for GNF images.
DniweTamp
Has liked: 42 posts
Been liked: 90 posts

try also using noesis to convert gnf to png
LagBeam

By "Rich Whitehouse" i was specifically pulling a joke on that one, kinda.
I tested it - while I did not encounter pixel data loss - some portraits have brightness shifted way up - I should be able to fix that with tools at my disposal (and I have references).
chlorophylls
Has liked: 9 posts
Been liked: 28 posts

LagBeam wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:43 pm By "Rich Whitehouse" i was specifically pulling a joke on that one, kinda.
I tested it - while I did not encounter pixel data loss - some portraits have brightness shifted way up - I should be able to fix that with tools at my disposal (and I have references).
Yeah, some of the portraits have a weird brightness/saturation issue. IIRC you just need to turn them up 50% saturation to make them match their original colors.
LagBeam

chlorophylls wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:02 pm
LagBeam wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:43 pm By "Rich Whitehouse" i was specifically pulling a joke on that one, kinda.
Yeah, some of the portraits have a weird brightness/saturation issue. IIRC you just need to turn them up 50% saturation to make them match their original colors.
Well, I've used your backport as reference for color-correction - got easy solution.

Due to me being stubborn - doing all operations by hand:
  • All images are converted for future processing (gnf->png) - some have color issues
  • I decided to proceed with RealSR scaling
  • Right now I'm operating on suggestions in terms of with whom (portrait-wise) to start first.
Yes I could've figured out what script will fix it for me - but as said I'm a bit stubborn to do it myself.

ShrineFox 2020 - 2023
Support | Progress | Labs | Privacy | Terms
This site is NOT affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Atlus Co., Ltd, Atlus U.S.A., Inc. or Sega Games Co., Ltd, or any of its subsidiaries or its affiliates.