P5R Bustup Portrait Backport Mod (Update 1.3: 2/24/21)

Share, discover, or contribute to mods for Persona 5 for PS3 and PS4.
chlorophylls
Has liked: 9 posts
Been liked: 28 posts

This mod is supposed to be used with the Mod Compendium. It backports the new and redrawn portraits from P5 Royal to the PS3 version of P5, and adds the ones for new characters such as Kasumi, José, and Maruki, and more, for people to use in their own mods. This also adds the bustup portraits for the new winter outfits.

TBH, Rexis did like 90% of the work with the actual portrait backporting; all I did was add the entries for the new ones and tweak and test the bustup params for placement.

DO NOT BROWSE THE BUSTUP FOLDER IN BUSTUP PARAM EDITOR (OR WHATEVER PROGRAMS YOU USE TO VIEW BUSTUP PORTRAITS FROM .BINS) OR CALL PORTRAITS HAPHAZARDLY INGAME IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED FOR ROYAL.

This mod imports all the portraits from P5R, which means that there are spoilery bustup portraits in the folder.

>> GOOGLE DRIVE DOWNLOAD LINK <<

For the 4K-compatible version of this mod, see this thread here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=527
Questions & Answers about the mod
Why are there duplicate portraits for some characters (e.g. Sojiro, Takemi, Chihaya, etc.)?
Long story short: Royal just came with them and I added them on top of the vanilla portraits because I didn't want to delete the vanilla portraits.

Short story long: For Royal, the dev team deleted some of the base portraits and replaced them with duplicate portraits to let the game scheduler handle which portraits to load for events, without messing with the base events too much.

For example, in Royal, Sojiro's b103_500_00 portrait doesn't exist anymore. Instead, he has b103_500_01, b103_500_02, b103_500_03, b103_500_04, b103_500_05, and b103_500_06. b103_500_05 and b103_500_06 are his new winter outfit portraits. Thus, in P5R, when the game calls for b103_500_00 via [bup 103 500 0] or whatever, it doesn't exist anymore, so the game code reads the 0 in the outfit ID as "load the appropriate outfit portrait based on the calendar". If it's the third semester/winter, it loads the winter outfit for that character. If it's summer, load the summer outfit, etc. For the base P5 content, those characters don't have seasonal outfits, so they just duplicated the portrait with the usual outfit 4 times to fill in the gaps.

How do I use these bustups in my own mod?
To call the bustups of the new characters via [bup ]/[f 2 4 6 ] code, here are their character portrait IDs:

Kasumi - 11 (in Royal itself, she's 10, but in order to not mess up already-existing scenes in vanilla P5 (since that ID number was previously assigned to Akechi), she has been moved to 11)
Maruki - 216
José - 221
Human Morgana - character ID 3, expression ID 800, 801, 803, 804, outfit ID 0

Here is a list of all bustups from Royal on the wiki that matches the vast majority of the ID numbers for the portraits (aside from the Akechi and Kasumi swap noted above), but it contains spoilers. BROWSE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

New winter outfits for characters tend to have outfit ID 5 and 6 (and 7 and 8).
E.g. If you want to call the new winter casual outfit portrait for Futaba, you could call [bup 0 8 0 6 0]. If you want to call Kasumi's winter uniform portrait, you would call [bup 0 11 0 5 0].
CHANGELOG (LATEST: VERSION 1.2):
Spoiler
Version 1.0: Released 4/20/20
Version 1.1: Released 6/19/20
  • Fixed some of Yusuke's bustups that had incorrect bustup parameters (b005_120_00 and b005_121_00, to be specific) by editing the bustup_param.dat
  • Fixed the version number so it's not backwards (0.1 instead of 1.0) anymore :)
Version 1.2: Released 11/29/20
  • The assist bustups have also been backported from P5R. Now Futaba, Morgana, etc. have their new navi portraits from P5R in the upper-right hand corner.
  • Same with the party members in their Mementos conversations, etc.
Version 1.3: Released 2/24/21
  • The assist bustups for Lavenza, Caroline, Justine, Akechi, and Yoshizawa(in her thief outfit) have now been backported. This is a completely optional update if you don't intend to use any of the above for custom flowscript shenanigans with calling assist bustups.

Lavenza = ID 50
    Justine = ID 51
    Caroline = ID 52
SCREENSHOTS

More example screenshots in the album here

CREDITS
  • Rexis, as mentioned, did like 90% of the work with backporting the bustup .bins from P5R. I don't even know why I'm posting this.
  • The P-Studio art division for the portraits in the first place
  • ShrineFox for the Bustup Param Editor
  • HaythamQuake, for helping in QCing and positioning the bustup parameters for the assist bustups.
This has only been tested with RPCS3. If you think a character's portrait is too high/low/left/right of the text box on the screen, you can leave a suggestion here and I can tweak the params.
Last edited by chlorophylls on Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:15 pm, edited 14 times in total.
DniweTamp
Has liked: 42 posts
Been liked: 90 posts

This works perfectly, thanks for the mod!
RedReapee
Has liked: 1 post

Works! amazing mod
DniweTamp

This one is probably caused by Darkechi mod but I'm not really sure
chlorophylls

DniweTamp wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:40 pm This one is probably caused by Darkechi mod but I'm not really sure
I just did some testing in the Bustup Param Editor and the mouth flaps/animations for Ryuji's masked portraits all worked fine for me in it, so I think it's the Darkechi mod (since it says it replaces some bustups).

My guess is that the bustup params (basically what tells the game where the mouth and eye textures go and how they move) from the Darkechi mod is using the vanilla coordinates for Ryuji's mouth, leading to that mismatch. Try it without the Darkechi mod and see how it goes.
DniweTamp

yeah, that was the issue
chlorophylls

DniweTamp wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:20 am yeah, that was the issue
Good to hear. Out of curiosity, does the problem still persist if you place the Royal bustups mod above the Darkechi mod?
thecursedcometh

FYI, this doesn't work with the 4K UI mod. Sorry if that was specified already and I didn't see it. It just makes the portraits really small.
DniweTamp

chlorophylls wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:11 pm
DniweTamp wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:20 am yeah, that was the issue
Good to hear. Out of curiosity, does the problem still persist if you place the Royal bustups mod above the Darkechi mod?
unfortunately I can't test it because of this issue:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=186
chlorophylls

thecursedcometh wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:05 pm FYI, this doesn't work with the 4K UI mod. Sorry if that was specified already and I didn't see it. It just makes the portraits really small.
I'll note that in my OP. Thanks for letting me know.
DniweTamp wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:40 pm unfortunately I can't test it because of this issue:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=186
That seems like a Compendium problem, so I'm afraid I can't help you there. :(

ShrineFox 2020 - 2023
Support | Progress | Labs | Privacy | Terms
This site is NOT affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Atlus Co., Ltd, Atlus U.S.A., Inc. or Sega Games Co., Ltd, or any of its subsidiaries or its affiliates.