P5R Bustup Portrait Backport Mod (Update 1.3: 2/24/21)

Share, discover, or contribute to mods for Persona 5 for PS3 and PS4.
Brs324

Hey! This is an AMAZING mod! So thanks so much for making it! :D I actually have a question, though. Would it be possible for you to make the battle bustups / portaits as well? I noticed that Futaba still uses her old surprised face and other expressions. Thanks anyway, even if it's not possible!
chlorophylls
Has liked: 9 posts
Been liked: 28 posts

Brs324 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:27 am Hey! This is an AMAZING mod! So thanks so much for making it! :D I actually have a question, though. Would it be possible for you to make the battle bustups / portaits as well? I noticed that Futaba still uses her old surprised face and other expressions. Thanks anyway, even if it's not possible!
I believe that is more a question for Rexis, since he handled the asset backporting. I'll shoot him a message.
Brs324

chlorophylls wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:08 pm
Brs324 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:27 am Hey! This is an AMAZING mod! So thanks so much for making it! :D I actually have a question, though. Would it be possible for you to make the battle bustups / portaits as well? I noticed that Futaba still uses her old surprised face and other expressions. Thanks anyway, even if it's not possible!
I believe that is more a question for Rexis, since he handled the asset backporting. I'll shoot him a message.
Ok! I'll be awaiting your answer :)
chlorophylls

Version 1.1 update:
  • Fixed some of Yusuke's bustups that had incorrect bustup parameters (b005_120_00 and b005_121_00, to be specific) by editing the bustup_param.dat
  • Fixed the version number so it's not backwards (0.1 instead of 1.0) anymore :)
The download link is the same, just updated the file:

If you run into any mismatched blinking or talking animation frames, take a screenshot and let me know.

BTW, can anyone confirm if the patch.yml fixes with the 4K mod will make this mod work both in and out of battle? (I mean the fix mentioned by Rexis here.) I don't have a 4K monitor, so I can't test it out myself.
Perec
Has liked: 1 post

chlorophylls wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:57 pm
BTW, can anyone confirm if the patch.yml fixes with the 4K mod will make this mod work both in and out of battle? (I mean the fix mentioned by Rexis here.) I don't have a 4K monitor, so I can't test it out myself.
Deleting the bustups folder from the 4K mod and editing patch.yml seems to do the trick.
chlorophylls

Perec wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:15 pm
chlorophylls wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:57 pm
Deleting the bustups folder from the 4K mod and editing patch.yml seems to do the trick.
Awesome, thanks for testing it out. I've edited the OP to reflect that.
LagBeam
Has liked: 5 posts
Been liked: 1 post

Big thanks for the mod, I ended up mixing it with 4k UI mod by rexis (also huge thanks for that). Could you drop a bit of insight on how backporting was done? I'm asking because I'm currently looking into adapting your mod for 4k UI by pulling original P5R bustups, building full portrait animations, upscaling using waifu2x and rebuilding animation pieces (eyes and mouth pieces) using your mod as reference guide on positioning (planning to use your bustup_param.dat instead of making my own/editing original from P5R).
Am I correct in assuming that rexis had to heavy-lift and work those bustup portraits by hand so they look good?
chlorophylls

LagBeam wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:10 am Big thanks for the mod, I ended up mixing it with 4k UI mod by rexis (also huge thanks for that). Could you drop a bit of insight on how backporting was done? I'm asking because I'm currently looking into adapting your mod for 4k UI by pulling original P5R bustups, building full portrait animations, upscaling using waifu2x and rebuilding animation pieces (eyes and mouth pieces) using your mod as reference guide on positioning (planning to use your bustup_param.dat instead of making my own/editing original from P5R).
Am I correct in assuming that rexis had to heavy-lift and work those bustup portraits by hand so they look good?
Rexis actually had a script to backport the P5R portraits and convert them from GNFs to DDSes for the PS3 version. His script handled the resizing, compression, packing, and quote "combines them according to ps4 params and then crops them again to fit ps3 params".

I only tweaked the bustup params to make sure everything fits (plus a couple of manual tweaks ingame to account for the PS3's smaller screen real estate compared to the PS4). I presume that after I told him that Kasumi should be in b011 instead of b010 for the reason outlined in the OP, he handled hers by hand or something, though.

I haven't been able to get a hold of him as of late, though, so I can't provide the script :(
LagBeam
Has liked: 5 posts
Been liked: 1 post

Thanks for the response, unfortunately cannot go ham myself with that idea of mine, but I am getting closer to script-making myself - already got all GNF converted, did couple conversions manually, found out issue underlining with that "combines according to PS4 params and crops them to fit PS3 params", maybe will try figuring out actual script to do it or most likely will spend evenings (when available) doing that work by hand making sure everything will line up with bustup_param.dat from your mod.
HaythamQuake
Has liked: 25 posts
Been liked: 10 posts

Hello. I was doing some testing around and side by side comparisons and noticed that Ryuji and Makoto should be closer to the text box, especially Ryuji. Yusuke and Morgana maybe, and perhaps a tiny bit for Akechi? Not sure on that last one.
I understand it's been many months since this mod came out, but I thought perhaps it was worth mentioning.
Also, are there any plans to do the assist bustups, aka the bustups on the upper right corner in battle, dungeons, and Mementos? I wouldn't mind working on the params for that :)

ShrineFox 2020 - 2023
Support | Progress | Labs | Privacy | Terms
This site is NOT affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Atlus Co., Ltd, Atlus U.S.A., Inc. or Sega Games Co., Ltd, or any of its subsidiaries or its affiliates.