P5R Bustup Portrait Backport Mod (Update 1.3: 2/24/21)

Share, discover, or contribute to mods for Persona 5 for PS3 and PS4.
chlorophylls
Has liked: 9 posts
Been liked: 28 posts

HaythamQuake wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:32 am Hello. I was doing some testing around and side by side comparisons and noticed that Ryuji and Makoto should be closer to the text box, especially Ryuji. Yusuke and Morgana maybe, and perhaps a tiny bit for Akechi? Not sure on that last one.
I understand it's been many months since this mod came out, but I thought perhaps it was worth mentioning.
Also, are there any plans to do the assist bustups, aka the bustups on the upper right corner in battle, dungeons, and Mementos? I wouldn't mind working on the params for that :)
For the assist bustups, I was originally planning on asking Rexis to help with his script again, but seeing as he hasn't been on in...all these months, I looked at the amount of assist bustups and there's only around 200 of them, as opposed to the 1000+ regular bustups, so those might be able to be done by hand. It would be a matter of resizing and converting the textures. If you can handle the params, I can (probably) handle the actual image conversions. It would be appreciated and you'd be credited, of course.
HaythamQuake
Has liked: 25 posts
Been liked: 10 posts

chlorophylls wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:02 pm
HaythamQuake wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:32 am Hello. I was doing some testing around and side by side comparisons and noticed that Ryuji and Makoto should be closer to the text box, especially Ryuji. Yusuke and Morgana maybe, and perhaps a tiny bit for Akechi? Not sure on that last one.
I understand it's been many months since this mod came out, but I thought perhaps it was worth mentioning.
Also, are there any plans to do the assist bustups, aka the bustups on the upper right corner in battle, dungeons, and Mementos? I wouldn't mind working on the params for that :)
For the assist bustups, I was originally planning on asking Rexis to help with his script again, but seeing as he hasn't been on in...all these months, I looked at the amount of assist bustups and there's only around 200 of them, as opposed to the 1000+ regular bustups, so those might be able to be done by hand. It would be a matter of resizing and converting the textures. If you can handle the params, I can (probably) handle the actual image conversions. It would be appreciated and you'd be credited, of course.
I actually took a look today and was able to convert and downscale Kasumi's as an example pretty cleanly since GFD Studio 0.5.0 now supports .gnf.
I saved it as a .dds and changed the gamma from 1.0 to 0.45 in Photoshop's Exposure setting as the image was too bright, then went to the Image Size tool and changed it from 100% to 66.67% so it's the PS3 texture size.

I also recall someone mentioning somewhere here that using a duplicate with a multiply blend mode works just as well.
chlorophylls

HaythamQuake wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:46 pm
I actually took a look today and was able to convert and downscale Kasumi's as an example pretty cleanly since GFD Studio 0.5.0 now supports .gnf.
I saved it as a .dds and changed the gamma from 1.0 to 0.45 in Photoshop's Exposure setting as the image was too bright, then went to the Image Size tool and changed it from 100% to 66.67% so it's the PS3 texture size.

I also recall someone mentioning somewhere here that using a duplicate with a multiply blend mode works just as well.
Hey, I have the .bins (and PNGs and DDSes) here for bustup param editing, if you're up for it:

Photoshop is technically doable but as you've probably seen by now, using Image Size to resize the mouth and eye frame parts can make them a little wonky in terms of size, so I used Image Magick and Texconv instead to batch do the job.

Also, just putting it out there, as Rexis mentioned months ago, texconv automatically sets the depth of DDSes to be 1, but P5 doesn't like that, since it reads it as a 3D texture and thus makes the DDS appear as like, a tiny white square instead. Instead, set the depth to 0 to make the DDSes work.
HaythamQuake

chlorophylls wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:38 pm
HaythamQuake wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:46 pm

Hey, I have the .bins (and PNGs and DDSes) here for bustup param editing, if you're up for it:

Photoshop is technically doable but as you've probably seen by now, using Image Size to resize the mouth and eye frame parts can make them a little wonky in terms of size, so I used Image Magick and Texconv instead to batch do the job.

Also, just putting it out there, as Rexis mentioned months ago, texconv automatically sets the depth of DDSes to be 1, but P5 doesn't like that, since it reads it as a 3D texture and thus makes the DDS appear as like, a tiny white square instead. Instead, set the depth to 0 to make the DDSes work.
Awesome! I'll get to work on this as soon as I can.
Also, I was not aware of the "wonkiness" you mentioned with the mouths and eyes, I only tested with the base bustup so I could try and get the colors right.

Thanks for the info! I hope I find a use for it in the near future :)
HaythamQuake

Okay, so update:
I just did the Phantom Thieves assist bustups and found some "wonkiness" and some odd issues.

For wonkiness, there's like I want to say about a half pixel offset for the x,y positioning for the eyes and mouths in Morgana's 005 and 007, Ann's 001, 003, 005, 006, and 007, Yusuke's 001, 002, 003, and 007, pretty much all of Haru's, and Futaba's 003 and 004. For Makoto, it's just the eyes in her 003 and 004. Surprisingly, Prince Akechi was all vanilla.

As for the odd issues, Morgana's eyes and mouths in b003_004.bin have some weird cropping, not sure what happened there, but looking at the Royal .gnf, it looks to be an easy fix.
The other issue, which also seems to be present in its Royal .gnf, is the mouths for all of Futaba's Navi/Oracle bustups. The black outlines are missing and the green glow is replaced with a white one so it kinda messes up her lip flaps. I feel like I could just erase that part of the image, but I wanted to check with you first before I make any decisions such as that.

Update 2: I went through the rest and most of them seem to fit the vanilla parameters, conveniently enough, though strangely enough, there are some old vanilla bustups in the mix for the main cast, so it's not just using Royal's. I'll check if there are any that need tweaks.
Update 2.5: Ann's mouths were off for her normal happy assist bustups(idk when those are used though), it's fixed now.

Update 3: All of purple Kaneshiro's eyes and mouths are corrupted, similar to what happened to that Morgana one I mentioned.

Here's a link to what I've done so far:
https://mega.nz/file/acInjKhY#zhRW_GCgZ ... 6XK_ANT6d0
chlorophylls

HaythamQuake wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:54 am Okay, so update:
I just did the Phantom Thieves assist bustups and found some "wonkiness" and some odd issues.

For wonkiness, there's like I want to say about a half pixel offset for the x,y positioning for the eyes and mouths in Morgana's 005 and 007, Ann's 001, 003, 005, 006, and 007, Yusuke's 001, 002, 003, and 007, pretty much all of Haru's, and Futaba's 003 and 004. For Makoto, it's just the eyes in her 003 and 004. Surprisingly, Prince Akechi was all vanilla.

As for the odd issues, Morgana's eyes and mouths in b003_004.bin have some weird cropping, not sure what happened there, but looking at the Royal .gnf, it looks to be an easy fix.
The other issue, which also seems to be present in its Royal .gnf, is the mouths for all of Futaba's Navi/Oracle bustups. The black outlines are missing and the green glow is replaced with a white one so it kinda messes up her lip flaps. I feel like I could just erase that part of the image, but I wanted to check with you first before I make any decisions such as that.

Update 2: I went through the rest and most of them seem to fit the vanilla parameters, conveniently enough, though strangely enough, there are some old vanilla bustups in the mix for the main cast, so it's not just using Royal's. I'll check if there are any that need tweaks.
Update 2.5: Ann's mouths were off for her normal happy assist bustups(idk when those are used though), it's fixed now.

Update 3: All of purple Kaneshiro's eyes and mouths are corrupted, similar to what happened to that Morgana one I mentioned.

You're correct; I remember Rexis mentioning way back when, that Morgana and Shadow Kaneshiro had weird cropping; it seems that (vanilla, at least) P5 doesn't play nicely with the eye and mouth frames that are intended to be transparent. Instead of the blocky cropping, they need completely solid square edges, instead of weirdly cropped ones/intentionally left transparent parts. Same goes with Futaba's thief outfit bustups. Those should be easy enough to handle.

I think that the eyes and mouth positioning being off for some portraits of the main party might be due to the assist bustups essentially being shrunk twice, as the "actual" bustups in P5R are 768x768, and then shrunk down to make them assist bustups. In our case, they're being shrunk down even further to meet the PS3 bustup dimensions.

Update: I've tweaked the "corrupted" ones and fixed some of Futaba/Oracle's bustups. Tell me if these are better. As for the weird half-pixel-offset problem, I'm trying to see if using the actual P5R bustups and tweaking them to fit the assist bustups will work.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i5tczo ... sp=sharing

And I just want to put these notes on P5R vs. P5 assist bustups here, for reference's sake:
  • Looks like Shadow Kaneshiro got a skin color correction from vanilla (flesh-colored) to Royal (correct, purple colored skin)
  • Shadow Okumura got a more defined/less faded spacesuit helmet bowl
  • Futaba has less...glow around her in her thief outfit compared to vanilla
  • Haru's thief hat is less faded out on the left
  • Shadow Sae's hat is less faded out on the left
HaythamQuake

chlorophylls wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:29 pm
HaythamQuake wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:54 am Okay, so update:

You're correct; I remember Rexis mentioning way back when, that Morgana and Shadow Kaneshiro had weird cropping; it seems that (vanilla, at least) P5 doesn't play nicely with the eye and mouth frames that are intended to be transparent. Instead of the blocky cropping, they need completely solid square edges, instead of weirdly cropped ones/intentionally left transparent parts. Same goes with Futaba's thief outfit bustups. Those should be easy enough to handle.

I think that the eyes and mouth positioning being off for some portraits of the main party might be due to the assist bustups essentially being shrunk twice, as the "actual" bustups in P5R are 768x768, and then shrunk down to make them assist bustups. In our case, they're being shrunk down even further to meet the PS3 bustup dimensions.

Update: I've tweaked the "corrupted" ones and fixed some of Futaba/Oracle's bustups. Tell me if these are better. As for the weird half-pixel-offset problem, I'm trying to see if using the actual P5R bustups and tweaking them to fit the assist bustups will work.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i5tczo ... sp=sharing

And I just want to put these notes on P5R vs. P5 assist bustups here, for reference's sake:
  • Looks like Shadow Kaneshiro got a skin color correction from vanilla (flesh-colored) to Royal (correct, purple colored skin)
  • Shadow Okumura got a more defined/less faded spacesuit helmet bowl
  • Futaba has less...glow around her in her thief outfit compared to vanilla
  • Haru's thief hat is less faded out on the left
  • Shadow Sae's hat is less faded out on the left
The "corrupted" ones are much much better now and the few Futaba/Oracle ones are also a lot better, all that's left for her is 003, 004, and 005. I'm curious to know what you did to fix that, and I hope you're able to figure out the half pixel offsets.

Yeah, I found it really weird that vanilla had a flesh-colored Shadow Kaneshiro, it looks really weird imo, lol. I was not aware that they tweaked Shadow Okumura's fish bowl.

Also, are we going to port over any other bustups like Violet's and Darkechi's too for example?
chlorophylls

HaythamQuake wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:13 am The "corrupted" ones are much much better now and the few Futaba/Oracle ones are also a lot better, all that's left for her is 003, 004, and 005. I'm curious to know what you did to fix that, and I hope you're able to figure out the half pixel offsets.

Yeah, I found it really weird that vanilla had a flesh-colored Shadow Kaneshiro, it looks really weird imo, lol. I was not aware that they tweaked Shadow Okumura's fish bowl.

Also, are we going to port over any other bustups like Violet's and Darkechi's too for example?
I've updated the zip file with more touched up bustups: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i5tczo ... sp=sharing

I touched these up for the main party in their thief outfits so that the half-pixel-offset thing wasn't a problem anymore (I hope). However, I haven't really tweaked all of the bustups for the half-pixel-offsets, so I'm sure there's some in the regular clothing bustups that I missed, like Ann's and Haru's.

For the "corrupted" bustups, they weren't "corrupted" so much as they had parts of the mouth and eye flaps intentionally left transparent, and Bustup Param Editor didn't account for those. For example, here's Futaba's mouth frame as taken directly from the GNF file, which has a similar transparency/cropping/missing outline problem that Morgana and Shadow Kaneshiro did:

So to solve that, I pasted the mouth frame on top of her actual portrait in Photoshop in the correct place on her bustup, as it's intended to be displayed ingame as well:
Spoiler
Then, I flattened the image, cropped out the exact mouth frame area (which now has the outline and missing parts because of said flattening), and exported that as her new mouth frame.
Spoiler
For the half-pixel-offsets, I didn't "figure" these out so much as go "fuck it", throw my hands in the air, and manually adjust them in the same process described above, with exported whole bustups for each eye and mouth frame:
Spoiler
Then, I resized the whole bustups via Image Magick before exporting the eye and mouth frames, so the resizing happened only once, was all consistent and avoided the half-pixel-offset errors. Then I exported the mouth and eye frames.
Spoiler
Yes, the process is as much of a pain in the ass as it sounds. Fortunately, you helped weed out which ones actually needed the half-pixel adjustments, so that saved me some time.

Let me know which casual/regular clothing bustups need the same half-pixel-offset treatment.

As for backporting other assist bustups like Violet's and Darkechi's, I'm leaning towards no, because the vanilla game won't call them anyway, and the command for calling the assist bustups isn't that known, so those aren't used much in modding and wouldn't be as useful for other modders, I think. If someone wants to backport Darkechi and Violet's assist bustups as replacements for other characters' assist bustups though, I can help.
HaythamQuake

chlorophylls wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:54 pm
HaythamQuake wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:13 am The "corrupted" ones are much much better now and the few Futaba/Oracle ones are also a lot better, all that's left for her is 003, 004, and 005. I'm curious to know what you did to fix that, and I hope you're able to figure out the half pixel offsets.

I've updated the zip file with more touched up bustups: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1i5tczo ... sp=sharing

I touched these up for the main party in their thief outfits so that the half-pixel-offset thing wasn't a problem anymore (I hope). However, I haven't really tweaked all of the bustups for the half-pixel-offsets, so I'm sure there's some in the regular clothing bustups that I missed, like Ann's and Haru's.

For the "corrupted" bustups, they weren't "corrupted" so much as they had parts of the mouth and eye flaps intentionally left transparent, and Bustup Param Editor didn't account for those. For example, here's Futaba's mouth frame as taken directly from the GNF file, which has a similar transparency/cropping/missing outline problem that Morgana and Shadow Kaneshiro did:

So to solve that, I pasted the mouth frame on top of her actual portrait in Photoshop in the correct place on her bustup, as it's intended to be displayed ingame as well:
Spoiler
Then, I flattened the image, cropped out the exact mouth frame area (which now has the outline and missing parts because of said flattening), and exported that as her new mouth frame.
Spoiler
For the half-pixel-offsets, I didn't "figure" these out so much as go "fuck it", throw my hands in the air, and manually adjust them in the same process described above, with exported whole bustups for each eye and mouth frame:
Spoiler
Then, I resized the whole bustups via Image Magick before exporting the eye and mouth frames, so the resizing happened only once, was all consistent and avoided the half-pixel-offset errors. Then I exported the mouth and eye frames.
Spoiler
Yes, the process is as much of a pain in the ass as it sounds. Fortunately, you helped weed out which ones actually needed the half-pixel adjustments, so that saved me some time.

Let me know which casual/regular clothing bustups need the same half-pixel-offset treatment.

As for backporting other assist bustups like Violet's and Darkechi's, I'm leaning towards no, because the vanilla game won't call them anyway, and the command for calling the assist bustups isn't that known, so those aren't used much in modding and wouldn't be as useful for other modders, I think. If someone wants to backport Darkechi and Violet's assist bustups as replacements for other characters' assist bustups though, I can help.
Yeah, this is looking a whole lot better now! Actually, all the normal clothing ones are, for the most part, perfectly fine as they apparently fit within the vanilla parameters. I did notice a half pixel offset for only Ann's mouths in her happy bustups, but I think that's the only one. Haru seems to be pretty good too. Out of all the normal clothing ones, it seems to just be happy Ann:
b014_002.bin
b024_002.bin
b034_002.bin
b044_002.bin

I could see why that would sound painful, but honestly it's pretty genius, so smart thinking, Chlor. Glad I'm able to help out, I really enjoy using this mod ^_^

I believe the Darkechi mod already has his assist bustups and then there's the ones made for the Akechi Navi mod. Both those and Kasumi's I'm actually planning to use for a big project I'm working on with a few friends called The Royal Patch, so if it's not too much trouble, it would be greatly appreciated :)

Also, regarding my original question on the regular bustups, I think I might have an idea to fix the positioning. I tested this with Ryuji's happy winter Shujin; took a screenshot from Royal and a screenshot from RPCS3, put both in Photoshop with the RPCS3 screenshot at 50% opacity, downscaled the image to 720p, and lined up the screenshots to figure out how many extra pixels to move. I got +26 pixels to the right from it but I have yet to test it.

Also also, here's a slightly updated msgAssistBustupParam.dat for ya, I just had to fix Panther's mouth in one of them:
https://mega.nz/file/aJoRlKqa#jgGrl_oDB ... iSoWNXotvA

Also also also, in b004_001, the eyes need to be swapped/renamed. Afaik, e1 is closed eyes and e2 is almost open eyes. I already renamed the dds and png on my end. I haven't seen it on anyone else so far.
chlorophylls

HaythamQuake wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:17 am Yeah, this is looking a whole lot better now! Actually, all the normal clothing ones are, for the most part, perfectly fine as they apparently fit within the vanilla parameters. I did notice a half pixel offset for only Ann's mouths in her happy bustups, but I think that's the only one. Haru seems to be pretty good too. Out of all the normal clothing ones, it seems to just be happy Ann:
b014_002.bin
b024_002.bin
b034_002.bin
b044_002.bin

I could see why that would sound painful, but honestly it's pretty genius, so smart thinking, Chlor. Glad I'm able to help out, I really enjoy using this mod ^_^

I believe the Darkechi mod already has his assist bustups and then there's the ones made for the Akechi Navi mod. Both those and Kasumi's I'm actually planning to use for a big project I'm working on with a few friends called The Royal Patch, so if it's not too much trouble, it would be greatly appreciated :)

Also, regarding my original question on the regular bustups, I think I might have an idea to fix the positioning. I tested this with Ryuji's happy winter Shujin; took a screenshot from Royal and a screenshot from RPCS3, put both in Photoshop with the RPCS3 screenshot at 50% opacity, downscaled the image to 720p, and lined up the screenshots to figure out how many extra pixels to move. I got +26 pixels to the right from it but I have yet to test it.

Also also, here's a slightly updated msgAssistBustupParam.dat for ya, I just had to fix Panther's mouth in one of them:
https://mega.nz/file/aJoRlKqa#jgGrl_oDB ... iSoWNXotvA

Also also also, in b004_001, the eyes need to be swapped/renamed. Afaik, e1 is closed eyes and e2 is almost open eyes. I already renamed the dds and png on my end. I haven't seen it on anyone else so far.
Thanks for bringing this stuff up to me, Ann's happy portraits (+ the eye and mouth frame swap thing) have been fixed. I can work on the positioning for other bustups when I have the time. Just let me know what the positioning needs to be.

Here's a WIP of backporting Darkechi and Violet's bustups, I haven't included the DDSes yet because I want to fix out any half-pixel-offset issues (like there seem to be with Violet's bustups) before converting to DDS. The bustup params are also attached, but since the editor has a problem with the Y position for assist bustups, I'm waiting for a fix on that.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18jS_3O ... sp=sharing

ShrineFox 2020 - 2023
Support | Progress | Labs | Privacy | Terms
This site is NOT affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Atlus Co., Ltd, Atlus U.S.A., Inc. or Sega Games Co., Ltd, or any of its subsidiaries or its affiliates.