HD P4 ( cancelled )

Share, discover or contribute to mods for Persona 4 for the PS2.
slasherguy21
Has liked: 35 posts
Been liked: 30 posts

I am trying to upscale then resize the images to my liking for a cleaner Persona 4.Right now, I have most of the textures upscaled and sorted except the effect files. If anyone could send me their extracted EPL/EFFECTS files, it would be appreciated, but if not, I'll be fine. Here's a bunch of images do see how well it is going. I started working on this yesterday so a lot of things won't be finished as this is a work in progress. I would also appreciate any criticism as I want this mod to be the best it can be.

The Images I used were using waifu2x with 2x rate and level 2 denoise, also TTA turned off.

NEW

OLD

NEW
OLD
Last edited by slasherguy21 on Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CaptainLevi
Has liked: 3 posts
Been liked: 1 post

That's awesome. I'm playing the game on a very weak PC, so I don't play the game on a high resolution. That was fine, but then I decided to use a widescreen patch and for some reason, the game 2D graphics got VERY low quality and it looks horrible. I assume upscaled images would make it better. I'm also looking to see if I can ask the upscaled bust-ups from pigeonpoet. Since he did it himself
slasherguy21

Do you have the newer Pcsx2 dev builds?
slasherguy21

Also, what does anyone recommend for upscaling model textures? I've tried waifu2x and I see no difference.
CaptainLevi
Has liked: 3 posts
Been liked: 1 post

slasherguy21 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:08 pm Do you have the newer Pcsx2 dev builds?

yep. But the game still looks horrible. That´s why I'm looking forward to these upscale projects
Greymanz
Has liked: 4 posts
Been liked: 3 posts

Did you try ESRGAN? It has multiple different upscale algorithms so id be surprised if none of them work. Part of the issue is probably the gradient shading of the characters as waifu2x works best on animes which usually have flat shading.

Have you ever considered new models/textures? Its a big task for sure but id like to see someone put more effort into an upscale project with the Rexis build on the horizon. Im open to helping out as I have a bit of knowledge in texturing and a little bit of modelling knowledge. Some stuff is probably best done as a simple upscale but I think things like the character models could benefit from an entirely new coat of paint

In regards to models, since PCSX2 supports higher screen res, why not try to change the character models to have more realistic proportions? I think they chibi-ified the characters to try and get the important details like the face and hands in better view on the small screen. You couldnt just port in the high res dancing models as thats far too many polys, but maybe proportion wise the characters could be more similar to how they are in dancing, and how the characters are proportioned in P5. Im rambling on a bit too much but id be open to helping with this project in any way that I can, P4 is a beautiful game and itd be cool to try and bring out that beauty a bit more to modern standards.
slasherguy21

Greymanz wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:48 pm Did you try ESRGAN? It has multiple different upscale algorithms so id be surprised if none of them work. Part of the issue is probably the gradient shading of the characters as waifu2x works best on animes which usually have flat shading.

Have you ever considered new models/textures? Its a big task for sure but id like to see someone put more effort into an upscale project with the Rexis build on the horizon. Im open to helping out as I have a bit of knowledge in texturing and a little bit of modelling knowledge. Some stuff is probably best done as a simple upscale but I think things like the character models could benefit from an entirely new coat of paint

In regards to models, since PCSX2 supports higher screen res, why not try to change the character models to have more realistic proportions? I think they chibi-ified the characters to try and get the important details like the face and hands in better view on the small screen. You couldnt just port in the high res dancing models as thats far too many polys, but maybe proportion wise the characters could be more similar to how they are in dancing, and how the characters are proportioned in P5. Im rambling on a bit too much but id be open to helping with this project in any way that I can, P4 is a beautiful game and itd be cool to try and bring out that beauty a bit more to modern standards.
One thing I don't have the rexis build just to put it out there and also I kinda have problems setting up ESRGAN.Also thanks for the criticism I’ll see as what I can do as I agree that Persona 4 Is amazing game in its own way.
slasherguy21

I am waiting on the full release or to get in contact with with rexis to get the build after at least I am done with the project.
slasherguy21

Ok, Update on the progress. So far I got all the Textures no counting all the persona tmx files and of course not the epl files. I am open for any help, this project might take a while all by myself. Also, I have chosen to redraw every model texture (that the game uses of course). Maybe even redraw some of the texture work of UI if it looks off when it is upscaled.
slasherguy21

I might be using some of the dancing games textures for the main cast of characters textures as reference.

ShrineFox 2020 - 2023
Support | Progress | Labs | Privacy | Terms
This site is NOT affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Atlus Co., Ltd, Atlus U.S.A., Inc. or Sega Games Co., Ltd, or any of its subsidiaries or its affiliates.