Persona 4 Upscaling

Share, discover or contribute to mods for Persona 4 for the PS2.
pigeonpoet
Has liked: 2 posts
Been liked: 5 posts

Hello,

I hope everyone is well.

I've been delving into modding Persona 4, with the primary intention of upscaling bustups and possibly some UI elements.

Now please bare in mind that I have got it working, with 2x upscaling. The game doesn't seem to like 4x, unless I'm missing something.
The upscaling can do with some tweaking, but I'm fairly happy with the result. That's the easy part if I'm honest.

Primary issue that I'm faced with is time consumption. As you can imagine there are a lot of bustups/portraits. The current workflow is inefficient, this involves using the Amicitia tool and exporting/importing in the individual tmx files, not to mention the upscaling process inbetween.
Is there a faster way of doing this? Can I mass export and import?

In regards to the tmx files, is there some kind on limitation on file size/resolution? Would be handy to know so I can push upscaling to its limit.
And with text, particularly within conversation windows, is there anyway to upscale this? I understand there is a font file, which can be changed, but to my brief investigation it looks quite restricted in terms of resolution.

I think that's it for now.
Many thanks in advance for your replies, and please remember I am a total layman when it comes to this kind of stuff.
pigeonpoet

Sorry, it might be worth mentioning that I am using ESRGAN for upscaling. Cheers!
DniweTamp
Has liked: 42 posts
Been liked: 90 posts

Please also consider using waifu2x for upscaling.

Here's how it looks like with it.

Alan3D
Has liked: 37 posts
Been liked: 23 posts

Portraits and model textures are one of the few things that you can actually upscale on the PS2 Atlus RPGs, and the .TMX seems to have a limit of 512 or 1024 before corrupting but that's the least of your problems as the UI textures cannot be upscaled without them getting off-centered onscreen due the size as they don't get scaled down by the engine (so stuff would go off screen, look too big, etc) and the fact that'd you run out of memory too fast. What you could do is wait for Rexis to publicly release his PCSX2 hack that allows texture dumping and replacement a la PPSSPP or Dolphin. As for the dumping batching Shrinefox made a tool that can extract most of the textures except for field's but he hasn't publicly shared it yet either. I can provide you with a P4 vanilla and Golden texture dumps if you wish.
Alan3D

I personally think Waifu2x is too smeary, ESGARN's Digital Frames model does wonders with persona portraits, i recomend also using dedithering.
pigeonpoet

A texture dump of Vanilla would be great, thank you.
Yes, I had experimented with some UI elements and found issues.
Can anything be done about text?

I will continue to trial different upscaling methods.
Alan3D

Here is a dump of Vanilla and Golden textures (Exept for fields, excluding props that did get extracted), which i recomend in case theres more bigger assets (Like the portraits) to have a better source for upscaling. Nothing can be done about text or UI element issues unleess you use Rexis' PCSX2 build which is not currently public. https://www.mediafire.com/file/wumn1887 ... mp.7z/file
pigeonpoet

Thanks, much appreciated.
pigeonpoet

Hi Alan, sorry to be a pain. Do you have the bustups for vanilla?
It seems that the Golden bustups are of a different aspect ratio and size, which make it tricky to align.
pigeonpoet

Not to worry Alan! I've managed to get hold of them
Cheers.

ShrineFox 2020 - 2023
Support | Progress | Labs | Privacy | Terms
This site is NOT affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Atlus Co., Ltd, Atlus U.S.A., Inc. or Sega Games Co., Ltd, or any of its subsidiaries or its affiliates.